Sign in to follow this  
ArmyNavyGuy

Researching Diesel Pusher Motorhomes To Buy

I am 5 years short of retiring in the government after already retiring in the military (reserve).

I often see websites for veterans to buy at discount prices, but don't really know if it is really a good deal. If I could start a forum for "The Beginner" to assist those people like myself to give them opportunity for buying a motorhome from start to finish it might also be helpful for the experienced RV owner. Including things such as size (does matter), horse power, amenities necessary (those veteran owners say they wish they included at the beginning), technical and communication support equipment, etc. I am grateful for any information you could provide. Thank you in advance. Jeff & Ingred.

So I'll start things off at the beginning. Start attending RV Shows so you can look at lots of different kinds of motorhomes. Discuss the pros and cons with your spouse. Look at prices and decide what your limits are. You will develop a sense of widely varying quality from the least expensive coaches to those that are out of the range of all but the wealthiest purchasers. What is the quality of construction and materials that you will make you comfortable with your purchase. Look at facilities, kitchen, bath, bedroom, cockpit, storage in the coach and below the floor. Consider floor plans, engine types and power. Make a list of the things that you absolutely have in a coach and those things that you would like to have.

Now the trick is to reach agreement on the list and the amount to spend. You can use size or quality to help reach an acceptable price range. Now I haven't told you what you or anyone needs. If you read the postings on this site you will find that people have differing ideas on what is necessary in a motorhome. People also have different needs, some are using their motorhome for a few vacation trips a year, others live in theirs full time. How you use your motorhome and how often it is used affects the answers to many of your questions. All these differences is why there is such a wide range of motorhomes available. Each model on sale will meet the needs of a fraction of all people buying motorhomes or the model/company would be out of business.

As a first time buyer I would strongly recommend that you purchase a used coach. This has the advantage of limiting your investment while giving you a chance to learn what you really need/want in a motorhome. You will find things you wish you had and others that you really don't need or don't use. With miles of driving and months or years of living in your used unit you will now have a much better idea of what you want and need. As a motorhome owner, attend FMCA rallies and the national convention where you can continue to look at a wide variety of coaches on display. Drive any you are interested in at the rally. You will be able to assess them with an experienced eye and your choice now will be much better informed. Your experience with a used coach may lead you to consider another used coach or new coach.

You can enlist a discussion of each of dozens of factors but in the end, each person or couple must make their own personal decisions. Those are best made from careful consideration following some use and experience before deciding on the purchase of a new coach. Even when you find the perfect coach for you, your needs may change and you may find yourself purchasing a different coach.

Tom has laid it out very well for you, there is no way that anyone can put it in a nutshell what anyone needs, or likes.

I highly recommend starting out with a good used coach at first to find out what your needs are.

One thing that I do recommend on a used coach is plan to buy a new mattress, my wife is a clean freak, so before anything else happens, she will sanitize every inch of the coach prior to starting use of it.

Happy trails,

Kay

So I'll start things off at the beginning. Start attending RV Shows so you can look at lots of different kinds of motorhomes. Discuss the pros and cons with your spouse. Look at prices and decide what your limits are. You will develop a sense of widely varying quality from the least expensive coaches to those that are out of the range of all but the wealthiest purchasers. What is the quality of construction and materials that you will make you comfortable with your purchase. Look at facilities, kitchen, bath, bedroom, cockpit, storage in the coach and below the floor. Consider floor plans, engine types and power. Make a list of the things that you absolutely have in a coach and those things that you would like to have.

Now the trick is to reach agreement on the list and the amount to spend. You can use size or quality to help reach an acceptable price range. Now I haven't told you what you or anyone needs. If you read the postings on this site you will find that people have differing ideas on what is necessary in a motorhome. People also have different needs, some are using their motorhome for a few vacation trips a year, others live in theirs full time. How you use your motorhome and how often it is used affects the answers to many of your questions. All these differences is why there is such a wide range of motorhomes available. Each model on sale will meet the needs of a fraction of all people buying motorhomes or the model/company would be out of business.

As a first time buyer I would strongly recommend that you purchase a used coach. This has the advantage of limiting your investment while giving you a chance to learn what you really need/want in a motorhome. You will find things you wish you had and others that you really don't need or don't use. With miles of driving and months or years of living in your used unit you will now have a much better idea of what you want and need. As a motorhome owner, attend FMCA rallies and the national convention where you can continue to look at a wide variety of coaches on display. Drive any you are interested in at the rally. You will be able to assess them with an experienced eye and your choice now will be much better informed. Your experience with a used coach may lead you to consider another used coach or new coach.

You can enlist a discussion of each of dozens of factors but in the end, each person or couple must make their own personal decisions. Those are best made from careful consideration following some use and experience before deciding on the purchase of a new coach. Even when you find the perfect coach for you, your needs may change and you may find yourself purchasing a different coach.

Thank you, Mr.Butler for taking the time to give me insight for my future endeavor. I have a long way to go to buy the motor coach of my dreams or the like. Since this is literally my first post, it will not be my last to gather as much as I can, "learning to buy motor coaches 101." I also started my research here just for the FMCA's reputation and the members experiences, generosity and knowledge. One day I want to give back what I have learned to a NEWBIE. Chat with you in the near future and hope to see you at a FMCA rally!

Tom has laid it out very well for you, there is no way that anyone can put it in a nutshell what anyone needs, or likes.

I highly recommend starting out with a good used coach at first to find out what your needs are.

One thing that I do recommend on a used coach is plan to buy a new mattress, my wife is a clean freak, so before anything else happens, she will sanitize every inch of the coach prior to starting use of it.

Happy trails,

Kay

Nicely put. Not sure if you can see what I responded, or if I did it correctly. I really believe that I have come to the right place to begin my journey and would like it if someday we could meet up a future FMCA rally. 5 years is not that far off, so again thank you again for your response. Take care.