Sign in to follow this  
ronandsue74

Diesel Exhaust Smell in Coach, HELP

We have had diesel exhaust smell in our coach since we purchased it 4 years ago.

After I resealed the engine access cover a few years ago we thought the problem was solved as the smell seemed to be mostly gone.

Recently we have been noticing the smell more. Just before our last trip I once again removed the engine access cover and resealed it again. The odor seems to come and go to some degree but rarely completely gone.

We have a washer/dryer in the back of the coach that exhausts to the outside. I have plugged the vent cover with foam, but that doesn't seem to have solved the problem.

Any suggestions as to what might be the cause would be greatly appreciated.

RJ
2005 Country Coach Inspire #51264

RJ,

In addition to sealing the dryer vent and around the engine compartment, the other major thing you can do is insure that you have positive air pressure inside the coach instead of a vacuum.

Run with the dash HVAC on outside air, not recirculate. Do not have any windows or roof vents open, as they will lower inside air pressure.

Also verify that you do not have an exhaust leak. Check for soot between head and exhaust manifold, manifold and turbo, turbo all the way out the side of the coach.

Problem found.

I have an exhaust leak. The flex pipe section in the exhaust is broken at both ends. I ordered 5" exhaust clamps to seal the breaks. I will install them tomorrow.

Rj

2005inspire.