Paulrl

D.C. to New Hamphire Routes?

Question

Does anyone have road suggestions or warnings concerning route from Washington D.C. up to Lincoln, New Hamphire? Google Map says Interstate 93. Anything we should be aware of? Thanks!

Paul and Dorothy

Traveling in 40 ft. diesel pusher full time

5 answers to this question

Full timers. If you are not in a hurry, find I-66 off of the DC beltway, head west to I-81. Stay on I-81 north to Binghamton and then head east towards Albany on I-88. Then head east on I-90 NY Turnpike (toll$) into Mass also toll and exit in Mass onto I-95 north. You will run around the most congested part of the Boston area but it will still be very busy. I-93 will be joined north of Boston and take you north into NH.

Lincoln is a small town/ must be something you want to see? The way that I have suggested will still,be busy in places, but the scenery is better, and it beats the heck out of north on 95 up the east coast.

If you are going to be in the north east stop and get a EZPass it will save you money on tolls. I would recommend doing it before you leave the DC area.

When going north cross the Hudson on the Tappan Z bridge DO NOT use the George Washington on 95. You should look at the terrain carefully and roads going east west in that part of the world doesn't give you that good of roads.

I just looked at what Google suggested. I like the I 95 to Boston then I 93 north. This will keep you off the small two lane roads where you will find the low overpass and narrow bridges. Just drove that area last month. Before going to Arcadia National Park. Just do the jog to cross on the Tappen Z as the toll and traffic are much better. My toll on the George Washington was $76.00.

Bill

Wildebill308, have you ever went 287 to 87 to 84 and accross? While it is longer it much less stressful.

I just went that route for work in June to Maine much more relaxing than the top of NJ crossing into the corner of NY and CT.

It all depends on where you are going. Most of my stops were along the coast.

I didn’t find driving 95 that big of a problem. The only caveat is to use the Tappan Z Bridge. I drove from Washington DC to Wordens pond in RI. I went across the Gorge Washington and got lucky with the traffic. Total travel time was 8 hours including lunch and brakes. I used I-93 when I went to the New Fond Lake area then went West on 104 to 4 and then on I-89.

Last month I went up the coast from Portland to Arcadia National park and Bar Harbor then up 1 to Eastport Campobello Island.

Bill