Sign in to follow this  
obedb

Fan Hub Bearings

Brett. Others are welcome too.

With my recent purchase of an inspection camera recommended By Ray (Huff) and Joe I was able to confirm that our coach has a second opening to the engine through the closet floor. I had to trash the carpet, but a small area rug will take care of that. Through the opening I have easy access to the Zerk and a good vantage point to help with serpentine belt installation.

I normally use tubes of synthetic grease for lube jobs. Will that grease be OK for the fan hub?

I know that you have advised to not get carried away with strokes on the grease gun, but I doubt this hub has been greased since the factory (21,000 miles ago).

Would it be beneficial to have the engine running applying the grease?? There is no danger from belts or the fan.

Your Caterpillar owners manual should have the mil-specs for grease, but most quality chassis greases should be fine.

I would not grease with the engine going-- nothing to be gained, and have never seen that recommended by Caterpillar or any tech. And, it is much too close to the serpentine belt!

The problem with trying to pump too much grease in is that it will blow the seals. So, were it me, I would grease it a little right now and then again in a thousand miles or so.

And, as with any bearing, grab the fan (yes, with the engine OFF!) and make sure there is no play in the bearings. If they have never been greased, they may be suspect.