piper48026

Seattle-Michigan 5/1/16- Road conditions (snow/ice) via US-84 Then US-80

Question

Has anyone made this trip through the mountains or familiar with these Hwys the time of year that I'd be using them.

I'm traveling in a 2013 43' allegro bus and pulling a car.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the Forum. You might consider renting some chains. Been over both roads, but not in May...July and August, and on both occasions, I ran into sleet and snow on some of the passes.

Last year, after the Redmond, Oregon rally, I was in Salt Lake City in early September and decided not to take 80 East, good thing, 18 wheelers, RV's and car's was stuck for 24 hours due to snow and Ice!

84 and 80 are good roads, you just have to be aware of the weather in the Mountains!

Carl

Carl,
Thanks for taking your time to send a reply.

So, in July and August you still ran into snow and ice?!?

Is there a weather station that you know of that gives daily road reports for the mountains? I'm hoping to get a good weather report and scoot over the mountains as fast as I can.
Dale

Brett's recommendation is a great source of information. I've bookmarked it for future use. I'm a weather geek, having taught weather for many years and being a fan of weather for a lifetime. I prefer a simpler approach using forecast information that is easier to digest. Any source that can give you storm warnings and watches will be useful.

When I put together weather information, my sources are the Weather Channel (DirecTV Channel 362), Weather Now (DirecTV Channel 361), and Weather Bug. You can use the Weather Bug web site or download the desktop version. I use the desktop version on my computer and the app for my iPad. Since getting the iPhone and iPad, I use it most of the time. The iPad/iPhone version is easier to use, finds your current location automatically and shows you radar centered on where you are with your location marked on the radar map. You can easily zoom in for more detail or out for the bigger picture. The Bug gives me local conditions wherever I am and local radar, regional radar and national radar with motion if desired and also has forecast information, storm warnings, etc. The iPad version of Weather Bug even works in Canada where we are traveling now. I can select Canadian Radar and get the radar (or current conditions, forecasts, etc.) in Newfoundland or anywhere else in Canada.

I've used these sources any time I'm concerned about, in or near storm conditions. With winter travel concerns it is always necessary that you have flexibility in your schedule. If you are traveling on a strict schedule then you should probably avoid taking routes that may be subject to snow or other bad weather. If your schedule is flexible you can always delay travel for a day or two which will take care of most fall and spring storms. Winter storms can stop safe travel for longer periods of time and bring the added problems of extreme cold weather.

Be cautious about get-home-itis. This is a hazard that has caused many an aviation accident. The tendency to push the trip on to the destination despite weather conditions just to get home or to another destination as soon as possible. Respect nature, when the weather goes bad, park it!