alaskatom

Starter Problems

I have a 2008 Allergo Bus and at times when I try to start the coach I have no power to the starter and it doesnt happen all the time and I never know whhen it will happen and have been stranded until I jump at the starter to start it.

Any one else having or had this issue and how did you correct/fix it.

alaskatom,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Your description leads to two possible items.
One is the ignition switch - start position contacts or the possibility of a failing switch to wire harness connector.
The second possibility is the relay the key switch energizes is failing or there is a wire connection on the low current coil connection or the high current contact area. This is where I would start to look.

This is assuming the connections and cables going to the starter solenoid are clean and in good condition.

Rich.

Tom,

Also Welcome to the Forum.

Let me add a third possibility to the mix, Solenoids. There are 4 in the mix. Two are in your front panel, they both are controlled by the key. One is for the instrument panel and the other is for the starter. A third is in the rear to control power to the Starter solenoid. And the forth is the Starter Solenoid itself.

All can be tested with a volt meter. The first three are 12 volt continuous (S55) and the forth is on the starter. With the key on test for front two for 12 + volts on both the large terminals of the solenoid. If you have voltage on both sides, then go to the rear and check the solenoid there (you will need someone to turn the key to check this one. If you have voltage on these three solenoids it is very possible you have a defective starter solenoid.

This is the procedure I just followed to find that my Starter Solenoid was intermittently bad. I also found that at my age I can still bench press 65 lbs., the weight of the starter.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Herman

Carl,

It is amazing what you can do when you have a 65 lb. starter that may or may not drop on your head. What is even worse is when you get it up and almost get stuck in and find you need to lower it and rotate into the correct position. :wub: Now if you would work out more you could get that up to 65 lbs. :lol::lol:

Herman