Sign in to follow this  
RVatSanFelipe

Blue Ox Failure of a Base Plate

We have a Safari motor coach, a 2004 model. For seven years we towed a Saturn sedan with a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. In 2013, we bought a 2012 Subaru Forester, and had a Blue Ox base plate installed on it. In June 2015, the base plate failed on the Subaru. I contacted the shop that installed the base plate, and gave them my account of what happened. About an hour later a person from Blue Ox called me, and asked questions. He told me he would send a new base plate and he did, Also, he instructed me to keep all receipts of my expenses. I returned the failed base plate to Blue Ox along with a record of my expenses. Today, a representative called me and informed me that they wanted me to replace my tow bar in the event that damage had occurred to it that would cause future failures. However, they would not reimburse any expenses because, the failed base plate showed 'elongated' holes where it was mounted.

I was also informed this is the only Blue Ox base plate ever to fail. Thus, the problem was with my installation.

Does anyone have any experience wtih this type of failure?

Andrew Longo

zenflyer@gmail.com

post-47500-0-33771100-1440525466_thumb.j

post-47500-0-45579200-1440525747_thumb.j

Not an expert but first question I would have is ... Did the installer use Locktite Red as specified - in bold letters - and in a bold outlined box in the installation instructions....

It seems that IF the nuts were installed tightly, and IF Locktite Red had been used per the instructions, the nuts/bolts would have stayed tight, there would have not been any loosening and therefore no "elongation" of the holes.

IF you still have the nuts/ bolts, you could likely prove to your installer that they failed...

It's certainly not the first Blue Ox base plate to fail, mine did also on our 2006 Mazda Tribute. While pulling away fron a rest stop, I had that momentary pulling sensation that you get when you first hook up when the bars extend. I stopped to look and found the base plate completly loose, being held on by the plastic bumper (I also had safety chains and a break-away cable). Later, I had the chance to inspect the base plate, and found that the metal had snapped on each side just past where the plate makes a 90-degee bend into the frame member. I took it to an authorized installer who verified that the installation was correct, but the metal simply snapped. When I contacted Blue Ox, they were apologetic and offered to send me a new base plate but would not pay for installation. The installer I'd taken it to (not the original dealer) said that I'd be better off having it welded with additional support bracing and guaranteed it would never fail. They did an admirable job, but Blue Ox wouldn't reimburse me since they refused to be liable for the welding (which I understood). Instead, they issued me a credit for their product catalog. What was telling though, was that when I later checked their web site and reviewed the installation for the same model, they'd added safety cables to the installation, which to me was an admission of a faulty design. Blue Ox was cordial and professional throughout, and I was satisfied with the credit, but don't let them tell you that you were the first.

Not the first one I have heard of also. In the early 2000's a Monaco Forum member of MCOA posted his Blue Ox base plate came all the way off, can't remember the damage but do remember he had no toad brake.

I know it got to be a Roadmaster base plate come loose but I have never saw a post on that.