Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne77590

Censorship

Guest Wayne77590

I have noticed that a few items that were posted by me, and others, have been deleted from the forum. I realize that administering a forum is a monumental task that I do not wish to have. I do have a request, if you may. If you are going to delete someone's post, for whatever reason, could you not send them an email explaining the stance that was taken? I am more offended by items just being deleted, then I ever would if it were accompanied by an explanation. Also, by reason of explanation, I could learn what the mind set is of the administrator and it would help me the next time I thought to post comments, and maybe not do so.

I do realize that I am an invited member here.

Can we just have fun.

Thanks.

As a classroom teacher, I learned quite quickly that general correction of a group was very ineffective. The best way to change behavior is to direct comments to the greatest offender. When that person stops their inappropriate behavior it dampens the inappropriate behavior of the rest of the group.

If messages are inappropriate, then I agree, when they are removed the sender should be notified and an explanation given. Specific information will always help us know what the bounds are and when we are seen to be pushing those limits. Some will take such criticism personally but most of us are adults and can take correction without resentment.

JMHO

Tom Butler

Typically the author of a deleted post is notified. We'll make sure that it gets done in the future.

Some forum visitors tell us they get annoyed by off-topic posts and they just skip over some authors' posts for that reason. Those off-topic strings probably were the ones that were deleted.

Please note: We do not censor opinions or ideas on the forums. We do take action, though, against posts or topics that could cause unrest in the community beyond a civil and polite disagreement.

Guest Wayne77590

Todd,

I truly understand taking action on items that could cause unrest in the FMCA community. I'm befuddled in your terminology of "visitors." Could you elaborate on that? Who are "Visitors?"

In other forums I belong to, the only ones that see what is written are the members. Do I have to be extremely careful about email addresses, telephone numbers, stick house addres, when I'm leaving on my next trip, and will the house really be empty, or will my son and "bull mastif" be protecting it? If people who are just googling are dropping in and can see everything, then i do have some concern.

Thanks.

I'm befuddled in your terminology of "visitors." Could you elaborate on that? Who are "Visitors?"

In other forums I belong to, the only ones that see what is written are the members. Do I have to be extremely careful about email addresses, telephone numbers, stick house addres, when I'm leaving on my next trip, and will the house really be empty, or will my son and "bull mastif" be protecting it? If people who are just googling are dropping in and can see everything, then i do have some concern.

Thanks.

Anyone who visits the forums can view/read messages. But no one can see your personal information, such as your e-mail address, unless you provide it in the text or signature of your posts.

To post messages, you must create a sign-in account and use your username and password to sign in to FMCA.com or the forums. "Members" are the good folks, such as yourself, who have created accounts and signed in to the forums. "Visitors" are anyone who visits the site.

Guest Wayne77590

My life is pretty much an open book, but there are times that I do not want the population of the Earth to be able to see items I may have posted. Thanks for the reply. I will be very careful with personal information here on the forum. Too many years working in the security field and truly understanding social engineering.

Thanks again.

Wayne,

If you check the bottom of the Forum page, you can see who is online at any given time. I just checked and it shows the following activity as I write this post.

33 guests, 5 members, 0 anonymous members

TBUTLER, Google.com, Rosco, wolfe10, -Gramps-, mikev

Note Google.com, anyone can view the forum. Visitors may comment to FMCA under the Home tab on the home page (look for the menu choice - Contact FMCA). Visitors of course can't log onto the site and take part in the Forum discussions until they register.

Visitors are a great source of potential members for FMCA. This makes the forum a win-win situation. We discuss and solve problems, FMCA draws in thousands of contacts that could "discover" FMCA and motorhoming. It is good for all of us. It does, however, mean that anything we put on here is available to anyone who pops in to take a look. This is true for the photos and blogs as well. For those with sticks and bricks homes, leaving real-time information about their travels could expose their homes while they are away. Other personal information, e-mail address, full name, etc. could also be used by sinister characters, so be cautious about what you put in the public domain.

I have known this since I signed on and assumed that others did also. Perhaps it should be clearly posted somewhere in the sign-up process.

Guest Wayne77590

Tom,

Thanks. I have spent many years in signal ntelligence, computer security, and I have given briefs on identity theft. I also have really known since signing in that this is an "open" forum where anyone can read. I do find that unfortunate, but that is my personal preference and not the owners of the forum.

As to having thousands discover the FMCA, it could still be done with a closed forum. The main pages and many other items could be available to the public, but in order to read the forum and blogs, one would need to sign up. That in itself would be incentive to become a member.

Sometimes I preach in the hopes of instilling security concerns in others, which we should all be concerned about, even if you do not have a stick house. It is easier to break into an RV in many instances, so posting itineraries, tours, attractions, etc., should be a concern, and it really is not something that I want J. Q. Citizen to have available to them. Although I'm probably more safe than others at the stick house as I have a full time resident that just spent 5 1/2 years in Iraq, and I'm certain he can handle himself or anyone else that does not belong here. The RV has a 70+ pound Husky/Chow when we are touring.

Sometimes I just get carried away, but I still will be careful.

I just believe that security information should be brought to light.