WingsAsEaglesMinistries

Disabled Veteran Looking For Handicap Class A Motorhome

Hello, my name is Stephen Scott Gatlin, I am a "Disabled Veteran", paralyzed from the chest down, complete. I am an evangelist looking to tour to speaking at churches and other venues. I am also a humorist, musician, and motivational speaker. I'm looking for my first handicap motorhome with the essential options such as, wheelchair lift, roll in shower, hospital bed, hand controls. I have not had any positive results from searching. I live in Louisiana and the few I've located are too far away or way out of my price range. I've done most every combination known to man in choosing the words to Google on my pc. I'm beginning to think it's not meant for me to have one. I was praying to find a one owner that's not being used anymore, say for whatever reason, death, health, or some other reason. So, if you folks out there happen to know of such an RV, please send me a reply. I do not have deep pockets, so luxury coaches, or high end motorhomes are completely out of the question, unless the Lord chooses to really bless me and have someone donate the ministry one. You can also call or text my cell phone anytime here at three one eight, five four eight, one one seven four. I am also available for revivals, where my focus is, "How To Remain In Your Faith, When Your Life Is Chaotic." My name is Stephen and my ministry name is "Wings As Eagles Ministries", taken from Isaiah 40:31. I pray to hear from you. God Bless!

Attachments:

Myself and the ministry van

Wings As Eagles logo

2 Photo's of the "life threatening" crashed vehicle that left me paralyzed July 4, 2007

post-48191-0-95984100-1443993168_thumb.j

post-48191-0-94497600-1443993169_thumb.j

post-48191-0-20471000-1443993364_thumb.j

post-48191-0-92427300-1443993369_thumb.j

Hi, Stephen. Thank you for posting on the FMCA Forums. I'll throw out a few bits of information that might help.

Several motorhome manufacturers specially outfit motorhomes for RVers with physical challenges. Among them are Winnebago Industries and Newmar.

Several companies outfit motorhomes with wheelchair lifts, among them Star Tracks (http://www.startrackslifts.com/) and Coach Lift (http://www.coachlift.com/rv-lift/).

A Google search located a dealership that has a rental motorhome that is wheelchair accessible. Searching may turn up others. Here is a link to the one I found:

http://www.fraserway.com/rentals/vehicles/wheelchair-accessible-motorhome.

And, as it turns out, there is a handicap-equipped motorhome for sale by a private owner in Family Motor Coaching magazine’s Classifieds section. I can share more information with you if that’s of interest.

The Handicapped Travel Club, which is not affiliated with FMCA, might be a good resource for you. Their website is www.handicappedtravelclub.com.

FMCA has a chapter called Achievers International, whose members may have more direct experience with motorhoming with physical challenges. I can provide the contact info for the chapter, if you like.

And I would be remiss if I did not suggest that you join FMCA once you do purchase a motorhome. The associated benefits can help you to travel with more peace of mind. Plus, the monthly magazine contains valuable information that many say makes the membership worthwhile.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if FMCA can assist otherwise.

Stephen, So sorry to hear of your accident. My wife is also paraplegic from a motorcycle accident. We have a Newmar Allstar wheelchair accessible class A motorhome we bought new in 2009. It is a diesel mid-engine design on a Spartan chassis. Newmar discontinued this chassis build but now still offers wheelchair accessible units in the Canyon Star, Ventana, and Dutch Star. The Canyon Star has a gas engine and is lower in price. You might check with Jon Steinbring of Steinbring Motorcoaches in Garfield, Minnesota. He is a top notch guy and is a large Newmar dealer. I know he runs across a used wheelchair accessible unit from time to time. Tell him "Don from Texas" referred you to him. I'm sure other options are out there. I am just not familiar with any other than Newmar.

It is going to be difficult to find a totally accessible unit that isn't somewhat pricey. Some issues to consider are whether you can traverse the length of the coach in your wheelchair with slides "in". You can with the Newmar coaches. The height of the bed is another issue. For some, it is always too high because it is built over the bedroom slide mechanism and cannot be lowered to accomodate a normal transfer. If you have some good upper body strength you still might be able to do it, but you could need assistance.

Newmar tends to install the wheelchair lifts so that assistance is required from another person, but you can modify this so that you can be the one who operates the lift from inside or outside the coach. Keep in mind that the door must be on a remote mechanism also since it obviously has to be opened from the inside or outside before the lift can work. I do these things for my wife but if I were not there, she would have to have some significant modifications to "take my place" so to speak.

Good luck on your search.

Don

Hello, my name is Stephen Scott Gatlin, I am a "Disabled Veteran", paralyzed from the chest down, complete. I am an evangelist looking to tour to speaking at churches and other venues. I am also a humorist, musician, and motivational speaker. I'm looking for my first handicap motorhome with the essential options such as, wheelchair lift, roll in shower, hospital bed, hand controls. I have not had any positive results from searching. I live in Louisiana and the few I've located are too far away or way out of my price range. I've done most every combination known to man in choosing the words to Google on my pc. I'm beginning to think it's not meant for me to have one. I was praying to find a one owner that's not being used anymore, say for whatever reason, death, health, or some other reason. So, if you folks out there happen to know of such an RV, please send me a reply. I do not have deep pockets, so luxury coaches, or high end motorhomes are completely out of the question, unless the Lord chooses to really bless me and have someone donate the ministry one. You can also call or text my cell phone anytime here at three one eight, five four eight, one one seven four. I am also available for revivals, where my focus is, "How To Remain In Your Faith, When Your Life Is Chaotic." My name is Stephen and my ministry name is "Wings As Eagles Ministries", taken from Isaiah 40:31. I pray to hear from you. God Bless!

Attachments:

Myself and the ministry van

Wings As Eagles logo

2 Photo's of the "life threatening" crashed vehicle that left me paralyzed July 4, 2007

YOUR IN LUCK - I have a find that has a Handicapped Winnebago for sale. His wife has been handicapped and they have been on the road for several years but now must stay at home. Please email me at mike@northlakemri.com and I will send you his contact number.

Hello Stephen, prayerfully you have made some progress in finding the right motorhome to meet your needs.  I am Robert Allen; along with my wife Adriene, we are the founders of Altar to Altar Ministries and serve primarily in campground ministry.  We would love to hear more about your ministry; please contact us when you have the opportunity.

Robert and Adriene Allen (Pastor/Founders)

Email Us At: altartoaltarministries@gmail.com

www.altartoaltarministries.org

FMCA Members: F453497

Blessings …