Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AaronJ

Coach Battery Charge Indicator 1994 Winnebago Chieftain

Recommended Posts

I have a 1994 Winnebago Chieftain. I just recently purchased it and am working through the bugs.

The Magnetek converter was bad when I got it and was frying my batteries. I don't have a volt meter available to know what level it was charging at. It did cause a fuse to blow in my refrigerator as well as burn up the eyebrow circuit board.

I have upgraded the converter and all seems to be working well, except the coach battery charge indicator is showing less than 9 volts (lowest reading) even with a new battery.

Everything seems to work well on battery power, Any ideas? do you think the converter fried the monitor?

Any help is appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without a voltmeter, you really don't know what the voltage is. Go get one ASAP and learn how to use it. Most valuable tool in the tool box!

Lenp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will have to try to pick up one in the next couple days. Was hoping to find if this was a common problem or if there was a way to narrow down where to look.I will let you know what I find

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaron,

When you get the voltmeter, check voltage at the battery, then at the gauge in question. That will tell you if you have a battery/charging problem or just an errant gauge.

BTW, the 12 VDC lights would be REALLY dim if voltage was really 9 VDC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok guys, this is what I have found so far- at the battery, the converter, and wires leading to the monitor I have just over 13 volts. The faulty Magnetek converter must have messed it up. I believe it was working correctly when I brought it home, but now it just lights up the lowest light (<9 volts). Now my question is does this affect any other equipment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't have a brand on it. It is just in the control panel under the microwave. There is a rocker switch that says "test" with two white wires. The white wires hook into the circuit board along with a red that is picked up from a white with red stripe going to the pump switch. There is a plug on the other end, but I am unsure of which wire is which.

post-48067-0-67025300-1444493734_thumb.j

post-48067-0-05056600-1444493738_thumb.j

post-48067-0-45282500-1444493740_thumb.j

post-48067-0-20960200-1444493765_thumb.j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12.73 VDC is a perfect reading if you are not plugged in/generator running (i.e. converter not on).

If converter is on (you have 120 VAC), the next step is to measure voltage at the battery and compare with the above reading.

With converter on, voltage should be 13.2-13.5 VDC.

Were it me, since you know that the reading by the idiot lights is not correct, I would just ignore them. Another option would be to install an inexpensive digital voltmeter in place of the idiot lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really need the idiot lights since I don't run off battery power often. The reading was with the shore line plugged in though so it is reading a little low. The reading at the battery is 13.5 volts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The is a little more "line loss" than desirable. Start by cleaning connections (both positive and ground) between the battery and main distribution panel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...