Sign in to follow this  
sewbusybarb

Motorhome Battery Issue

Even when our battery switch is turned off, something is drawing power from the batteries. Our 6 batteries (house and chassis) were all replaced last year. When our MH is in storage during the summer months, we go once a month to run the engine and the generator. On one of those times this past summer, all the batteries were dead. Had to get a boost.

So something is still drawing power. The electric steps still work when you open the door even with the switch off but they are not in use all the time.

Any suggestions?

Sewbusybarb,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yes, even with the house battery disconnect switch off, there are still draws-- this is normal.

Do you have 120 VAC shore power where you store?

Under cover or in direct sunlight (i.e. would solar be appropriate)?

And, when you do run the engine, PLEASE drive at least 25 highway miles. If not, all you are doing is adding moisture to the engine crankcase. Same with generator-- when you run it for exercise, make sure it has at least a 50% load.

We do not have 12 Vac shore power when the MH is in outdoor storage. This is the first time we have heard that we should drive some miles rather than just run the engine. I know we work the generator by running the air.

Another electrical question: We have the MH in our driveway now as we prepare to head south soon. When you plug into a household outlet, should the battery switch be on or is it OK to leave it off?

Is the converter or inverter charging the batteries when you plug in?

How many volts does it take to run the converter or inverter?

We do not have 12 Vac shore power when the MH is in outdoor storage. This is the first time we have heard that we should drive some miles rather than just run the engine. I know we work the generator by running the air.

Another electrical question: We have the MH in our driveway now as we prepare to head south soon. When you plug into a household outlet, should the battery switch be on or is it OK to leave it off?

Is the converter or inverter charging the batteries when you plug in?

How many volts does it take to run the converter or inverter?

Assume you mean 120 VAC, which IS shore power.

If you have a smart converter or an inverter/charger that has been programmed, it can be left on 24/7. Let us know what you have and we can let you know.

The converter or inverter/charger in some coaches ONLY charges the house battery bank. In others, it charges both house and chassis battery banks. You will need to verify that both your battery banks are charged from shore power. If not, there are several reasonable "work arounds".

Can answer your battery switch question better once we know what converter or inverter/charger you have. Basics are that you CAN use your 12 VDC system, but if a very high amp inverter/charger, you may need to limit its charging amperage (an easy programming change).

The converter or inverter/charger WILL charge the house battery when on shore power (which is 120 VAC) or when on generator (also 120 VAC). See above-- do not know if it also charges the chassis battery.

We have the following inverter/charger(photo attached). Because I am the reader, the manual is all Greek to me. My husband is the doer. We have only had our MH a short time and it is our first. No one went over the basics of how to use it.

The ME series inverter/charger is a smart charger. Read the section on programming it (probably from the remote). You will tell it what kind of batteries you have for house bank (wet cell, AGM or gel) and size of bank in amp-hrs (tell us what batteries you have and how many and we can give you that info) and perhaps temperature (if no remote temp sensor).

When on shore power, you can then leave it on 24/7 and it will do a good job of keeping the house bank charged.

You still need to find out what means you have for charging the chassis battery bank. Possible choices are:

1. None-- will need to add one.

2. A solenoid-based smart relay such as Xantrex Echo charger.

3. A separate small smart charger dedicated to chassis battery that charges from shore power (or generator).

We have 4 6V house batteries, GC-225. I assume the chassis batteries charge when plugged in, We have a 2010 Dutch Star DP.

The ME series remote panel has the following menu options:

SHORE menu

AGS menu

METER menu

SETUP menu- search watts

Low batt cut out

Batt amp hours

Batt type

Charge rate

VAC dropout

Power saver

Screen setup

TECH menu- temperatures

Revisions

Inv model

Load defaults

Ext control

Should these all be set to default settings or should some be customized?

I assume there are explanations for these terms.

Certainly the ones I mentioned above should be "customized" unless the default happens to be what you have.

As an example, wet cell may be the default. If that is what you have, then default is fine.

Your four batteries= 450 amp-hrs @ 12 VDC. So, if that is the default, that is fine. If not, change it!

Same for temperature.

Suspect "Power Saver" would limit how many amps of 120 VAC can be used for battery charging. If that is what the description says and you only have a 15 amp house outlet, set it at a low setting. If an RV 30 or 50 amp outlet not necessary to change it.

Please do not ASSUME that the chassis batteries are charged from shore power-- VERIFY with a digital voltmeter. Batteries are too expensive to take a chance on.

I have read the manual completely and have set up the remote monitor with the options available. Husband will check the chassis batteries with the volt meter.

One final question, when the battery switch is turned off when MH not in use, should the inverter/charger be left on or switched off as well.

If you have the choice of turning off the inverter section, do it.

If turning it off means that both inverter and charger section are off, then leave it ON.

I do not know if Newmar has a tech line, but if you still have problems and the do have a tech line, call them. I had a problem with my coach not starting I called the Amer Coach tech line and the tech talked me through, step by step, setting up the system so it would not happen again.