neilcarol

Generator Versus Propane

Not sure of the question-- what are you wanting to do-- run heater, refrigerator, other?

Your generator, propane furnace and refrigerator were designed to be used on the road with the exception of while fueling and tunnels.

I turn on my refrigerator a day before a trip and turn it off when I get home (except for prohibited situations) I just leave it on auto select. I have run the furnace as needed when driving. It could be dangerous but so is leaving home. <_<:)

I think this is one of the lesser dangers.

Bill

Agreed, the systems are designed to be used.

But, as Bill said virtually nothing has zero risk. Let's just say the risk is EXTREMELY low. You probably run more risk dying of food poisoning if you turn off the refrigerator than a problem running the refrigerator or furnace or generator while driving.

As with any mechanical device, this ASSUMES that you keep them in good working condition.

Times you should NOT use furnace, generator, water heater, have refrigerator on:

When refueling-- you want no source of spark or open flame.

In tunnels and other areas where these devices are prohibited. And, yes, some tunnels prohibit vehicles with propane tanks, even if shut off.

I question the idea that the propane on is less dangerous than the risk of food poisoning. As I understand it, the RV refrigerators are designed to keep cold for at least eight hours when off, even in warm weather, as long as you keep it closed.

I turn heat, refrigerator, water heater, propane off when pulling out, and turn it on again when arriving. That way there's no risk of forgetting to turn things off at the refueling station. The only exception would be if it gets hot and I want to run the generator while traveling, I'll turn the refrigerator back on as well, since it's running on electricity.

I question the idea that the propane on is less dangerous than the risk of food poisoning. As I understand it, the RV refrigerators are designed to keep cold for at least eight hours when off, even in warm weather, as long as you keep it closed.

I turn heat, refrigerator, water heater, propane off when pulling out, and turn it on again when arriving. That way there's no risk of forgetting to turn things off at the refueling station. The only exception would be if it gets hot and I want to run the generator while traveling, I'll turn the refrigerator back on as well, since it's running on electricity.

You do know how your propane appliances work don't you? If it won't light the propane shuts off if there is a flame and it goes out the propane shuts off. The chances of having a problem with a propane system(IF MAINTAINED) is some what below the odds you will fall off the edge of the Earth if you drive to far.

Bill