gaylemarlowe

Generator Run

I know it is always advised to run the generator once a month under 50% load. My question is: Coach is in the RV garage so I would back it out to run the generator. It is now about 18 degrees outside and I don't know how to put a 50% load on the generator when the coach is all winterized. Can't run the water heater or the fridge. About the only thing I can run is the block heater and that only pulls about 10-12 amps. Is this enough of a load to exercise the generator?

Thanks

Is your generator gas, propane or diesel?

What "winterizing" have you done on the fuel?

Just my opinion, but in 18 degree F weather and light load, AND proper fuel additive, I would not run it.

Additional loads would be space heaters, but you would have to be careful to not put all of them on the same "daisy chain" of outlets off the same breaker. The charger or inverter charger would be an additional load if batteries are not fully charged.

Brett,

Generator is diesel 10kw. Winterizing on the fuel has been just to add antifreeze stabilizer prior to storage. Since I don't have even one space heater and the batteries are kept fully charged when plugged in at the garage outlet, I will take your advice and not run it. We do plan to go mid-January to Buckhorn resort and that will give me the opportunity to give it a good run.

Thanks

Would agree. With a diesel, a BIOCIDE such as Biobor JF and for your cold conditions an anti gel and fill the diesel tank to minimize condensation.

I think you will be fine. I agree with Brett use a good biocide and a good anti gel. I would not start your main engine unless you could drive it for about 20 miles to get it and the transmission properly warmed up.

I just did my monthly generator exercise today. Now it isn't 18 degrees so I was able to use both ac/heat pumps as a load and turned the convection/microwave on preheat to add some load with a space heater. It is amazing how much of a load you can run.

With all that I was around 34 amps draw.

Bill

I struggle with this every year. Do I run the generator or not is the age old question? Our coach will sit from November through March, plugged in and charging the batteries. I can unplug it and run the generator but I don't feel the one small space heater would suffice as a enough load to build heat. The roof top heat pumps will not turn on in the temperatures that I will experience through most of the winter months. All I get on the display is "ICE" which according to the manual is a safety mode when the compressors are too cold to cycle. I have anti gel additive in the coach fuel tank and I have ran the generator prior to parking it under load to circulate the fuel and the coach is parked with a full tank of Diesel. I certainly do not want to start the coach engine, much to cold and I have no intentions of driving it for a full warm up on these roads in the NE especially after they start dropping the calcium chloride salt brine on the roads.

So back to the question.....do you run it under a light load just longer or forget about it?

I think you will be OK. The diesel generators don't have the problems the gas units have with old gas in the carburetor obviously. I think the problem of condensation in the generator shouldn't be that big of a problem as cold as it is where you are.

Trying to think of things to adding load when you run the generator: Do you have a convection oven/microwave? It might be worth the cost of another small heater to add some load if you decide to run it. I have a small cube heater that on hi draws about 15 amps.

Ultimately you have to decide what makes you comfortable. I think you will be fine letting it sit till you are ready to go somewhere.

Bill

Thanks for all the advice. I think I should be safe in letting it set till we go south. With our low humidity here (today at 22 deg and 11%) it should be okay with what you guys have given for info. Looking forward to the warmer temps we will find next month, although the humidity will be quite a bit higher I am sure.