Sign in to follow this  
obedb

Trip To Montana

Question

We are heading to Montana in early to middle August 2016 from south central PA. Non interstate travel is often more interesting, but fewer RV parks seem to be the case. I am considering heading north to Michigan's UP and joining US 2 for the trip to Glacier National Park. I have run stretches of US 2 as a trucker. All of Minnesota, part of Wisconsin, part of North Dakota, and the UP to be exact. I have been as far north as Great Falls MT, but I don't remember US 2 in my travels in that state. The road less traveled has been of interest to me for many years. Accounts of that route if any are welcome.

3 answers to this question

We've enjoyed traveling US 2 on several occasions. I think you will find a variety of small RV Parks and even possibly some Corps of Engineer parks along the way. Fort Peck Dam is a Corps of Engineers site and we've stayed there before. We use RV Park Reviews as one source of campgrounds and the iPhone app, AllStays is also a good source of information on places to stay, campgrounds or boondocking sites. Like you, we enjoy the leisurely travel when we find it.

We just made the run across upper Wisconsin to Minot ND on US2, then turned south on US 83 all the way south to Texas.. We love the off the beaten path travel also and there are many places to see & visit across the nothern USA....Stayed in a little place called Saginaw Minnisota at the interestion of US 2 & US 169 at the small RV park right there outside of Grand Rapids........There is a grill/bar across the road that makes a pretty good supper.........

Look for the headwaters of the Mighty Mississippi River on US 2 it is only about 25 feet wide up there..........Rugby ND is another place for an interesting stop. It is the geograchical center of North America.....We were going on over to Great Falls MT but just decided it was time to go home for a change of underwear after about a month on the road..........LOL....Someday I may have to go back to finish the run to Washington State....

You will enjoy the trip and RV parks are not far apart...

Mike