Sign in to follow this  
Timothy Weis

Battery Charging

I just recently had to replace the F E T Board in my Magnum 2000 charger/inverter. This question probably comes up a lot, do you recommend leaving the coach plugged in at all times while not in use? My mechanic says its OK as long as you keep an eye on the battery water levels, which I do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tim Weis, Hesperia, Ca.

2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Mine remains plugged in to 50amp power while at my home and not in use. I don't use it much during winter months, so it will remain on charge for long periods of time. I do check battery fluid levels monthly.

The smart charger should float charge the batteries and not allow the water to boil out. I would still check the levels every so often. When I had wet cells I had the watering system which had the level gauge on each cap so it was easy to check the levels.

We're plugged in all winter long. Never any problem. Keep a watch on the batteries. Keeping the batteries at top charge is much better than letting them discharge completely as can happen when they aren't being charged during a long term idle period. Our inverter/charger, Xantrex, handles the job without worries.