lylefikse

Battery Amp Hour Caculation

I have four 6 volt batteries in our house battery bank. 135 Amp hours each. The batteries are hooked in parallel and series. Two batteries hooked together in parallel to make 12 volts. Two parallel sets in series. If I understand this right, it would give me 270 amp hours total. 135 amp hours for each set of two batteries in parallel, and 270 for both sets together. Is this right?

I have four 6 volt batteries in our house battery bank. 135 Amp hours each. The batteries are hooked in parallel and series. Two batteries hooked together in parallel to make 12 volts. Two parallel sets in series. If I understand this right, it would give me 270 amp hours total. 135 amp hours for each set of two batteries in parallel, and 270 for both sets together. Is this right?

Lyle,

2 Batteries are connected in series to make 12 volts. Each set offers a total of 135 AH.

The 2 series sets are connected in Parallel. With 2 series sets in parallel offers a total of 270 AH.

Battery Connections

2-135 AH batteries in series =135 AH *2 in Parallel = 270 AH

To positive source(Charger).or Load To common ground

↑ ↑

+P---B 1---N-Connect↔-+P--B 2---N to ground =12 volts@135 AH

↕ Connect 2 Positives ↕ Connect 2 Negatives = 270 AH

+P---B 3---N-Connect↔-+P--B 4---N to ground = 12 volts@135 AH

Rich.

Thanks Kay ! The wiring I setup is different, but you are correct about the total current.

I have to be careful when posting early in the morning when the coffee has warren off !!!

Rich.

Yup, 270 amp-hrs @12 VDC.

For long battery life, do now discharge below 50%. So, if batteries are in new condition and fully charged, then you can use 135 amp-hrs before recharging them.

Thanks for the info. I made a mistake however, and read the wrong figure off the batteries. It says 135 minutes on them but also 226 amp hours. I guess I have 452 amp hours. I thought I had the math right but still managed to screw it up by reading the wrong number on the batteries. All is well that ends well.

Retirement sure beats working!!!

That is certainly a more common rating for golf cart 6 VDC batteries. So, yes total (50% of which is usable before recharging) is 452 amp-hrs @12 VDC.