Sign in to follow this  
garyreed

Flat Towing 2003 Land Rover Discovery ll

Reason I don't have one, also Land Cruiser, owners manual says it can't be towed 4 down or 2 down, need trailer! Only a Land Rover or

Land Cruiser (Toyota) with manual lock out hubs can be towed....pre 1989.

Carl

Carl is right, the manual says no. The reason I ask is that I have seen a few being flat towed, just wondering if they have been altered. We have used a trailer for the past few years and are finding out some parks make a deal out of it.

Thanks for the response

Gary

Thanks for the responses. I think I will continue to use the trailer since most of our trips involve the Rocky Mountains and we do alot of 4x4 trails (sometimes a trailer is handy). We are planning an East Coast trip this summer and will look ahead to find parks that can handle the length.

Gary

I have a 1996 Lexus LX450 (same as the Landcruiser). It has a lift and large tires. I will be flat towing it this summer. In researching if that is doable I spent a lot of time on various off-road forums. I have learned that both the LandRover and the Toyota transmissions are similar in that they do not self-lube while being towed. The same goes for the T-Cases.

I spoke with the owner of a well-known off road shop specializing in Toyotas and he has towed his 1996 LandCruiser upwards of 50,000 miles with no ill-effects. He did say that he disconnects at most overnight stops and drives it a little to be sure the internals are getting some lubrication but other than that he does not treat it any differently. He tows with the tranny in PARK and the T-Case in Neutral, the same way that Jeep recommends towing their full time 4x4's.

In my case I have been able to modify the Blue OX brackets that were on my '06 GMC Pickup to fit the Lexus. I have spoken with Air-Force1 and they assure me their brake kit will also fit on my Lexus, so will be ordering one shortly.