Sign in to follow this  
vrich

Fleetwood Problem With Basement Door & Drawer

We have a Fleetwood Revolution 2002. The storage compartment door where our electrical cord is stored will not open.

One side of the door is loose, but when the latch is pulled up the other side seems to be stuck and won't open.

The other problem is, the drawer by the kitchen sink slides open when the coach is moving. :(

Happy Travels

vrich,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you have a latch on each side of the door, will that one release or it it just loose? If it will release at all you may be able to pull it out enough to get a hook in and loop (a streached out clothes hanger comes to mind) the other side and possiably get the stuck latch to release. Also is that bay a pass through? if so you can unload, it crawl through and release it from the inside. If not by any chance does the compartment beside the stuck bay have a wall between them? If not go through there.

After you do get the door opened be sure and luberciate all moving parts on ALL you latches.

Good Luck,

Herman

The latch that is stuck, does it have a key lock on it? If so, take a thin metal shim and work it in between frame and latch. As for your kitchen drawer, you probably need to replace the latch. Go to any hardware store or Wall Mart and get a new one. 14 years of use and the rock and roll will take its toll !

Carl

Not sure how your Fleetwood compartment doors are configured, but, if like my Winnebago, the handle is in the center of the door and connected by rods to the door latches on both sides of the door. I have had two of the latches break preventing access. The latch is a plastic or Teflon "pin" tapered on one side so that it will retract automatically and then extend into the receiver when the door is closed - kind of like a household door latch. The tapered end of my latch broke resulting in it no longer being connected to the rod on the handle assembly. Fortunately, I could access the latch receiver from an adjacent compartment and get the door open. If that is your problem, the latch assemblies are easy to replace.

As for your drawer..... Again I had one that would not stay closed. Mine DO NOT have any latches on them. Only a slight drop down when they are fully closed. To open them I have to first lift the drawer and then pull it out. Close inspection of my drawer glides revealed the small tabs that hold the drawer closed were bent preventing it from firmly latching. A pair of needle nosed pliers solved the problem quickly. Suggest you have a close look at a good drawer glide and then compare to the bad one.

Lenp

Not sure how your Fleetwood compartment doors are configured, but, if like my Winnebago, the handle is in the center of the door and connected by rods to the door latches on both sides of the door. I have had two of the latches break preventing access. The latch is a plastic or Teflon "pin" tapered on one side so that it will retract automatically and then extend into the receiver when the door is closed - kind of like a household door latch. The tapered end of my latch broke resulting in it no longer being connected to the rod on the handle assembly. Fortunately, I could access the latch receiver from an adjacent compartment and get the door open. If that is your problem, the latch assemblies are easy to replace.

As for your drawer..... Again I had one that would not stay closed. Mine DO NOT have any latches on them. Only a slight drop down when they are fully closed. To open them I have to first lift the drawer and then pull it out. Close inspection of my drawer glides revealed the small tabs that hold the drawer closed were bent preventing it from firmly latching. A pair of needle nosed pliers solved the problem quickly. Suggest you have a close look at a good drawer glide and then compare to the bad one.

Lenp

Thank you very much for the suggestions. You were right in in both cases. Safe travels

vrich,

Hope you were able to get your bay door open. If you doors do in fact have latches with plastic plungers please do not replace them with the same type.

RB Machining make replacement latches with Aluminum plungers. Check them out, www.motorhomelatches.com 661-274-1966 or 661-269-3233. And while you are at it I would replace all you plastic plunger latches. Also keep all part of your bay doors latch components well lubricated.

Herman