Sign in to follow this  
papajim67

Traveling Hwy 20 In California

Question

We are planning a trip that will include taking our 32 ft class A, with a toad, from Williams, Ca to Emigrant Gap.

We would like to take Hwy 20. Anyone take this route, if so is it a hilly ride or smooth up hill climb?

We will be coming from the west and heading east.

I'm trying to avoid Sacramento area.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't driven 20 but it is telling that when you do the rout on google maps the longer route is quicker. Going down I-80 to I-5 then back North to Williams would be the rout I would take.

Bill

You will be fine. I have traveled from Immigrant Gap (I-80) on CA20 all of the way to US101 in order to deliver Harleys in Ukiah. I was between 71 and 72 feet long with a 53 foot trailer. Your idea will save you miles and miss a lot of traffic. The first time I took the route was in the middle of the night because it was not marked all of the way through for big trucks. I wanted to keep the CHP off of my tail. I have since traveled in the daylight and have not been bothered .

I just checked because I forgot where Williams is. I-5. That is even better. My advice is still good. Enjoy.

Agree with ObedB. I took it in 2014 with my current rig and had a pleasant drive, nice scenery and a lot less traffic!

Carl