nclady3108

Newbie Battery Question

While preparing to use RV after winter storage all batteries were dead. ClassC Fleetwood Tioga. I am taking care of this alone now because husband is ill.

Chassis battery replaced.

Two deep cycle house batteries will not fully charge and keep going dead. Took to battery store said they are good.

Read manual don't know what to do. Suggestions ?!!!

nclady3108,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Are you plugged into shore power? If so, your converter, charger or inverter/charger should be keeping the house battery bank charged (voltage reading of 13.2-13.5 VDC at the house bank. To properly check batteries, they need to be fully charged and the either check their SG (Specific Gravity) or load test them.

Some, but not all coaches also charge the chassis batteries from shore power-- don't know whether yours does or not.

Do you have a digital voltmeter-- almost a necessity with any RV-- they start under $20.

...Some, but not all coaches also charge the chassis batteries from shore power-- don't know whether yours does or not...

My coach charges the chassis batteries, but the charge goes through the coach batteries. The charge must be at least 13.3 volts in order for the coach batteries to let it go to the chassis batteries. If the charge to the coach batteries is less than 13.3, the charge will not go to the chassis batteries...and they will be dead when you want to start the coach. BTDT.

The first link is to the 12 volt side of life part 1 of 2. Read both parts.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

Then use general internet searches for more information.

Once you understand how batteries discharge and how they are recharged, you can develop

a process relevant to your situation to keep them charged.

You will receive many helpful hints from various people, but you really need to get to know

much more about them. Batteries are the beating heart of your RV.

FIVE.

I guess they did something different on mine! When I hook up to 120V, I press the inverter button on my control panel...that keeps a charge on my engine batteries. After running all day the engine batteries are full, but will start draining when camped. If I'm camped on generator, then it keeps everything charged. Strange!

I run generator on manual, so I don't forget to turn off auto start when in my non vented garage! I have 20A electric, but we do have storms and some times the power will go off for 6 or 8 hours....since the only thing that is on is Fridge, the batteries don't run down, or never has, since I got rid of the ground interrupt switch.

Carl

FIVE.

I guess they did something different on mine! When I hook up to 120V, I press the inverter button on my control panel...that keeps a charge on my engine batteries. After running all day the engine batteries are full, but will start draining when camped. If I'm camped on generator, then it keeps everything charged. Strange!

I run generator on manual, so I don't forget to turn off auto start when in my non vented garage! I have 20A electric, but we do have storms and some times the power will go off for 6 or 8 hours....since the only thing that is on is Fridge, the batteries don't run down, or never has, since I got rid of the ground interrupt switch.

Carl

My problem occurred the first time I tried to use the coach. Brought the house batteries on line to start it, then called the AC tech line when we got to the CG. They talked me through the procedure to increase the charge rate and charge time. It seems the charger ''thought'' it was only charging four batteries, not eight. That boosted the normal charge to 13.6 to 13.8...worked fine since. I'll have to ask about turning the inverter on and if that affects charging the chassis batteries. Now I only turn it on if we are going to use it on the road.

I've gotten some good information from you guys. Thanks

Glad we can help...most of this stuff you have to learn the hard way. :D

nclady.

Unfortunately, it really don't matter how much you know about AC or DC. Your coach is wired differently than mine and it seems that mine is set up differently than FIVE and we have the same manufacturer!

The only thing in common the 3 off us have is house battery and starter battery, Converter/Inverter and as Brett said. He knows more than most off us!

If your not on elect. in storage, then you need to disconnect starter and house batteries!

Happy travel

Carl