2mahams

Xantrex 458 Freedom Inverter Display Cuts On & Off

I have a Xantrex 458 inverter, It seems to charge the batteries just fine as this was our first trip this year. The battery led went red, yellow and the voltage was 14.5 for quite a while, then the led turned green and the voltage and dc amps dropped.

My problem or question about my inverter is this: after all of that, many hours later the display panel cuts off. After maybe 30 -45 seconds it cuts back on. Sometimes it will stay on for a long time or cut off in a few minutes but always come back on with no faults only green.

Batteries new last year and all cables tight and water level good.

Any ideas out there on this??

Can't help you much with your problem, however, the inverter does not charge anything. You have an inverter/charger...the charger seems to be the problem, not the inverter.

2mahams, I recommend you call Xantrex. Their phone number is listed below, I spoke to them a week or so back, very helpful staff.

good luck, please let us know what you find.

Toll-Free
(6:30am-4:30pm PST, Mon-Fri) 1-800-670-0707

2mahams,

jleamont's thought about call Xantrex is a good one. They are very helpful.

They might offer some thoughts and tests for you to run.

This is not an uncommon item. The panel LED's come on when the batteries are drawing a charge and the charging current triggers the red, yellow and green lamps.

When the charge current drops below a preset level the green LED goes out, as the 12 volt loads draw down the voltage the charge current goes high enough to turn on the LED again.

Rich.

I also have a Freedom 458 inverter/charger and my panel is the Basic Remote

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/default/freedom-458-basic-remote.aspx

The display will constantly show status with shore power connected but when running on battery power it will turn off after a minute or so and only turn back on when a button is pushed. The battery/Charge LED process you mentioned is correct as those 3 LED colors indicate the 3 modes of the charging process. red=bulk, yellow=absorption, green=float.

As for the display turning on and then off goes, I'm guessing it's still under shore power so my guess is that the phone line type connectors(RJ?) used have some corrosion on one end or the other. You'll probably need a flashlight and magnifying glass to inspect the tiny contacts in the cable connectors and then in the sockets on the Inverter/Charger and the back of the panel.

Hopefully it's just a connector cleaning or cable replacement which is needed because otherwise I would guess that there is a problem on a circuit board either in the panel or in the inverter. Either a solder joint on the connector-to-PCB interface or worst, a cracked circuit board.

PS, I used to be an electronics technician.

The Freedom 458 is of course both an inverter and a 3 stage charger.  I had one in my previous MH.  Mine would occasionally turn off and turn back on during charging. This was the monitor panel.  I never did figure out why but never seemed to to cause any issue as when it returned it was still at previous setting or charging level.  Worked for 15 yrs and 150K miles. : >)

Bob in TX