drock

Crazy With Kids?

First time poster here...

Last night my wife dropped a bomb on me. "Let's sell the house and buy an RV to travel the country with the kids."

Great idea, I thought! Brilliant! This has been a lifelong dream of mine, but I always thought this would be something that we couldn't feasible do until we're in our retirement years. Here's a little backstory on us: We're both 31 and have two little girls (2 1/2 and 5 months). I own my own advertising/web design business and I *think* that I could do this on the road. 

Am I crazy for even considering this? Have any of you had similar experiences? If so, what were the high and low points you experienced? Our plan would be to travel full-time for a couple years and I could work along the way. We'd come back home once it's time for the girls to start school and figure out a plan then for getting back into a house. But since last night all I can think about is buying an RV and traveling with my girls. Where would we go? We could finally see all the family and friends that have moved around that we haven't had time to visit with work schedules and our hectic lives. This could be our great escape! 

I'm perfectly comfortable driving a coach, too. I drove a 45' Prevost for a year or two when I was in college with a southern gospel group, but I know we can't afford something like that. Being a complete newbie when it comes to different brands and styles it'd be nice to know what some of you would recommend for our first RV.  We would need something that would make life on the road full time for a family of four comfortable. 

Thanks for reading! I look forward to the responses.

drock,

Welcome to the forum!

I applaud you for wanting to bring children into the RV lifestyle at such a young age, we wish we would have started years before we did (they were 8 and 6 at the time).

We are not full time and our kids are now teens while we travel on many weekends, holidays and vacations throughout the warm months, they help with the trip planning every year and count down to the next one.

Even if you did it part time you will build great family memories along the way, I honestly believe it brings a family closer, or at least it did for us. I am anxious to hear the responses on this as it is not that uncommon.  

Drock, welcome to the forum, also would love to have had the opportunity to full time with the kids. There are many sites to see in this beautiful country, I don't believe they could all be seen in a lifetime.  As for schooling the girls, there are alternatives to ever coming back home for that reason. I have met many who homeschool their kids, and keep on traveling. With the advent of the internet being able to go with you wherever you go, that is all required to do the homeschool bit. Also being in web design, that can be accomplished from almost anywhere also. As for what type of coach, that will be a big decision by the family heads. Look forward to seeing you on the road.

The only problem I can see is the connectivity. Sometimes you will have great/good connectivity and other times it could be marginal. Prices vary on ISP's when on the road. 

Welcome and good luck.