kenro24

Residential refrigerators

I am in the market for a new vehicle and it seems they order them only with household refrigerators. I only have experience with propane/electric models. We do a fair amount of dry camping, usually less than a week, but how long will batteries last without running the generator?

I am in the market for a new vehicle and it seems they order them only with household refrigerators. I only have experience with propane/electric models. We do a fair amount of dry camping usually less than a week but how long will batteries last without running the generator?

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

No secret recipes here.

While dry camping, it is common (best economic use of generator without materially shortening battery life) to discharge a battery bank down to 50% and recharge to 85%. Repeat... Charge to 100% at least every 10 days.

You will need to look at the electrical demand of the residential refrigerator along with all the other items you plan to run along with battery bank size (in amp-hrs) and see if it will work for you.

WATTS is the easiest way to calculate this, as you don't have to convert from 12 VDC to 120 VAC. You do need to know that power you have to "invert" from 12 VDC to 120 VAC is only about 92% efficient.

For most, an all-electric coach is great for being plugged in with occasional dry camping. For extended dry camping, a less electrically demanding option may be better. You have to determine what is best FOR YOUR USE.

Brett Wolfe

If you have a residential refrigerator, you should have an augmented set of house batteries. Instead of the industry standard 4 x 6 volt batteries, most are putting in at least 6 x 6 volt batteries. This will give a little longer time between generator runs. One possible means to extend this would be to pick up some dry ice and use it to help keep the refrigerator cold. Residential refrigerators are generally better insulated and a pound of dry ice should really help keep it cold so the unit runs less and uses less electricity. Of course if you are really in the boondocks, the dry ice will give out in a day or so and you'll be running the generator more eventually.

On the other hand, the propane refrigerators have proven to be an real risk for fire and eliminating them makes your motor home much safer. I'm planning on replacing our propane model with a household model when it finally gives up the ghost.