wingman5th

Dual Ducted A/C

I have a 2007 Damon Tuscany with two 15,000K A/C / heat pumps with ceiling ducts. The original units were 13.5K but I upgraded each as they needed replacement. I found that the previous owner placed rags in the ducts approximately 2/3 of the way back essentially creating two separate systems. The front unit cools/heats the foward 2/3 of the coach (living room and kitchen) and the rear unit cools the remaining 1/3 (bedroom and bath).

My question is, is this a good or bad situation? It seems the front unit has to work harder to cool a larger space and the rear unit could assist. By removing the duct blocks I could also benefit from a single unit cooling the whole coach if I am on only 30 amp power.

Does anyone see a downside to removing the rags and returning the system to its original design?

We like having the two units serving the entire area.  One advantage is that you can have the rear unit work during the day when you are in the front of the coach.  We set that unit several degrees cooler than the front.  The front will kick on occasionally but the rear unit does most of the work and creates most of the noise when we aren't there.  At night we reverse the settings and let the front unit carry most of the load and create most of the noise.  It works the same with the heat pump setting. 

If I were worried about the cost of the electric, this might not make sense.  We are keeping the part of the house we aren't using cooler than the area where we are located in order to keep ourselves comfortable.  From the energy conservation aspect, having the unit serve the area where you are located makes more sense.  I prefer the gentler cooling, less air blowing on me, and the quiet of having the far unit operating most of the time.  We live in tiny spaces and our energy use is nothing compared to a regular sticks and bricks home so that is my answer to the energy concerns.  A small single family home built today has a 200 amp electric panel and larger ones go to 400A and more.  Even on 50A we are set up to use only 1/4 of a small single family home.

11 hours ago, wingman5th said:

I have a 2007 Damon Tuscany with two 15,000K A/C / heat pumps with ceiling ducts. The original units were 13.5K but I upgraded each as they needed replacement. I found that the previous owner placed rags in the ducts approximately 2/3 of the way back essentially creating two separate systems. The front unit cools/heats the foward 2/3 of the coach (living room and kitchen) and the rear unit cools the remaining 1/3 (bedroom and bath).

My question is, is this a good or bad situation? It seems the front unit has to work harder to cool a larger space and the rear unit could assist. By removing the duct blocks I could also benefit from a single unit cooling the whole coach if I am on only 30 amp power.

Does anyone see a downside to removing the rags and returning the system to its original design?

Welcome to the forum. The down side is you will have a more efficient and flexible system, who would want that.:P By the way good move upgrading to the bigger units.

Bill