JGCUPP

Denver To Kelso, WA

Question

4 answers to this question

This is the way I would run it.  I-25 north to Ft. Collins/ exit 269 onto CO 14 west to US 287. North on 287 to I-80 at Laramie. West on I-80 to Echo Utah/ join I-84 west missing the Salt Lake City Traffic. 84 will join I-15 and run north to  Tremonton then they split. Stay with I-84 and it will take you through Idaho, to Oregon. I-84 in Oregon is mostly a pretty ride especially when along the south shore of the Columbia River. If you want to avoid Portland follow I-205 north across the river into Washington state. 205 ends at I-5. I-5 north to Kelso. Have run that way a number of times in an 18wheeler and would go that way in a motorhome.

jgcupp

The way ObedBsuggested  is a good very direct route, no fussin around and he is correct that the drive on 84 through Idaho and Oregon is nice all the way to Portland.  If you would like a similar route but 2 lane nice wide but infinitely more interesting, look at a map for this. When you arrive in Pendleton look just a bit north and 25 miles west for Hermiston. Take that 395 HWY up to Washington 14 west. It is the Lewis and Clark Hwy route and it is spectacular and along the river all the way over to Portland and avoid the freeway which it is pretty but it is still a freeway. There are however many very interesting towns and history one can see and visit on the 84 side. On 14 there is not much traffic either way, mostly locals. The speed limit is higher too. In Oregon the speed limit for coaches is 55, period, just like California. 20 miles an hour over and it is a felony!! There are many portions of 14 where you will not do 55 either but the environment...wonderful.

If you have some time I have an extra ordinary drive that we just did last October and again part of it returning from north eastern Oregon returning with our newly acquired 42.5 foot Safari 455 Panther towing a Featherlite trailer and an S4 Audi aboard. In any event you will end up at the same intersection of 84 and the 14 turn off. If you are interested I will be glad to elaborate. I will also offer that I grew up in the state of Oregon. There are numerous spectacularly great routes depending what you flavor is. PM me if you would like to have a meet and have a cup of coffee, I will bring the map.

Bill Edwards

Evergreen, Colorado

Yes/ WA 14 is an interesting ride . Have done it in an 18 wheeler a few times. My memory is looking south across the Columbia at the Cascade's. Very pretty. Little towns are not all that welcoming for big rigs like I was driving, and I usually had a targeted number of miles a day before shutdown. If you decide to run that way, when you get to the western end, not that far from I-205 WA 14 becomes 4 lane. In a motorhome if I had the time, I would go that way, but if it is late in the day and you have a reservation, stay on the big road. 

Hey Byron,  I am glad you agree and I agree with you as well. I sent you a note, PM some time ago about going your way this fall and looking for a load of qtr sawn white oak. You mentioned in a Post that there was a mill close by.  rsbilledwards@q.com so I do not high jack this thread.

Thanks a lot,

Bill Edwards