We want an inverter for our Monarch 2008. It was not an option for that year.  We are looking at Sunforce and Xantrex 1000 watt true sine.  

Do we need the:

Xantrex Inline Transfer Relay f/PROwatt SW or will the inverter switch panel take care of it. And which inverter is the best?

Pandaluna, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

The key to what inverter would meet you needs is how you plan on using it or them.

Just want to plug into a powered AC outlet to condition the voltage or power it from the chassis batteries.

Could you fill in how it will be used and how you plan on supplying an input power source to the unit(s)

Rich.

OK, thank you for your response.  We want to power the front and back tvs, the dish reciever (tailgater), and a dvd player, and charge our computer and cells. Not all at once! Just do not like the generator running when we are viewing the tube. We camp off the grid for about 2 months every winter, (7 days out, 2 days in). I think a 1000 watt would be adequate, placed along side the house batteries, and we understand it will tie into the two separate outlets for the two tvs.  

My concern is the ease of which it turns off when you go to shore power. The Xantrex true sine has a remote panel you turn on and off.  The sunforce doesn't. Also the Xantrex has an add on unit ($62) to make the shore power to inverter power automatic. I just don't know if it is necessary. 

And is a solar panel a good idea? How much  generator time would it save?  We are in a lot of sun during our trips. I guess one step at a time. 

If the inverter does not have a built in ATS (usually called "pass through feature), there are two ways to power things by either shore power or inverter.

First is with an ATS.

The other would be to have separate outlets behind the devices-- and you would manually move them from one outlet to the other.

Not familiar with the Sunforce, so do not know how to turn it on/off remotely.

But, while plugged in, as long as your converter, or charger is sufficient to provide all your 12 VDC needs AND power the inverter (takes very little unless it is running devices) this may not be a problem.

And the inverter, indeed, should be located as close to the house batteries as practical, but NOT in the same compartment (spark danger and sulfuric acid vapor from batteries will ruin the inverter.

Pandaluna, Brett covered things well, but I have one question. How are the house/ coach batteries for your 12 volt systems charged now? From a charger connected to 120 volt shore power and the generator when running? or just from the engine alternator?

Options might be better if you currently have just a battery charging system-using shore or generator power to charge batteries.

Rich.