kurtsue

Dometic A/C Heat Pump Compressor Stops

Hi all,

Maybe a HVAC repairman can give me some advice on this.

We have a 2004 Holiday Rambler Ambassador diesel pusher. It has two A/C Heat Pumps on the roof. They are Dometic 13,500 BTU. The rear unit works great. The front unit has a problem. The problem is that when I run the front unit, it cuts off after about 10 seconds.

Let me explain. First the fan comes on for about 5 seconds, then the compressor comes on and stays for about 10 seconds then cuts off. Now I changed the Caps on the unit to no avail. Still cuts off.

The amps on the smart board show in the forties then it shuts itself off. I know that is high on amperage so do you think it could be the compressor struggling or maybe the control board in the unit? The fan motor runs great, but the compressor is struggling.

Any help would be appreciated greatly. Happy Camping Everyone! :)

Is this a 30 amp coach?  Are you turning the front A/C on with the rear A/C turned on or off?  What else is turned on?  Battery Inverter/charger?  Electric water heater?  Anything?

Kurt, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

Have you checked to see if the fins on the condenser are clean and not damaged in anyway ?   Any restriction to air flow, damage to the cooling fins or slow fan speed, can result in higher temperatures - that equal higher current load on the compressor. You did mention that the fan speed does seam to be normal though. That does tend to point towards the compressor or the loose of R 22 in the older units, and repairing them is not a common practice.

Expanding on Bills thoughts - will the front unit run when the rear unit is off?

Rich.

The rear unit is off when I run the front unit. The voltage is 120VAC at the front unit . All other items are off and it is on a 30 amp circuit at my home.Thanks for the replies.

Bill, brought up a point in my ole memory bank. :o  Back in the early 80's there were 30 amp coaches that would operate both a/c's. There was a selector switch that would cut off one unit so the other could cool and vice versa. Might Kurt's unit have such? Sorry I can't remember the manufacturer. :wub:

Herman

Thanks for the reply, with everything off but the front HVAC, again the unit tries to start but compressor shuts off after about 10 seconds. The unit is isolated by itself, I just don't know what else to test. Am I looking at a new unit? You know they don't make them like they use to! :(

In my humble, muddled brain...yes!  But before you replace it, I would check the condenser and as said, look at fins and any obstruction.  Let us know what you find.

Carl