Sign in to follow this  
oscarpower

Customs Question: Liquor NB Canada

When we planned our 3-month New England trip, we stocked our RV with some wine and liquor. Once here, we would like to visit NB.   We have no plans on buying more, however, what would customs do on our way back to US with what we have on board? Obviously we no longer have receipts.

Does anyone know?

An equally real question is what Canadian Customs is going to say about what you bring in.  You are only allowed a certain amount of liquor to be brought into Canada.

Consult Canadian Border Services.  They allow very specific limits of alcohol you can bring across the border.  You have several choices.  You can declare it at the border and pay the tax for anything in excess of your allowance, you can dump it or give it away before crossing the border or you can find some place to store it until you return to the US.  Don't even think about trying to "smuggle" it across the Canadian Border.  The consequences are much worse than paying the tax or dumping the liquor. 

Read the information from Canadian Border Services carefully.  They also have restrictions on some food items and they are very strict about weapons including not just guns but also pepper spray.  As the saying goes, know before you go!

New Brunswick is a wonderful place to visit.  We've been there many times.  The Bay of Fundy has some of the worlds highest tides.  Up to 50 feet between low and high tide.  Viewing the change in tides at Hopewell Rocks is really great.  You can walk on the ocean floor and six hours later kayak on the ocean in the same spot.  The flower pots are equally amazing.  We have friends who operate a whale watching operation on Grand Manan Island.  We've taken our coach on the ferry to and from Grand Manan to visit them several times.  I just checked their web site and their whale watching tours are not operating this summer.  The whale watching is great in the Bay of Fundy and I'm certain you can find other operators to take you out if interested.  There is great scenery along the St. John River, Hwy 105 and 165 give great views of the river valley going North.  In St. John, the capital of New Brunswick, you can watch the river reverse its flow with each incoming tide. 

Go and enjoy the experience!

Many years ago when I was in the Navy we went TDA to Newfoundland. Most of the time I was there for 3 months. At that time you were allowed  the equal to 128 ounces duty free every 6 weeks.  

When a crew would rotate back to Pax River there would be enough booze onboard to serve a US Senate meeting for at least 5 minutes.:rolleyes:

Herman