Schoolhouse

Upholstery Replacement

Recently purchased an older Class A, Beaver Marquis. Although the rig was well-maintained, the dinette upholstery (vinyl) and comfy leather driver and passenger chairs have long since outlived their useful life and need to be replaced.

The dinette vinyl cover over the foam bench seats have a zipper on the back to potentially facilitate a swap out with a new cover. However, I can not locate any manufactured covers to fit them.

Any ideas on where to look for a replacement?

Also, the large leather captain's driver seat is well made but the white/cream colored leather is heavily cracked and worn. Any thoughts on how to refurbish the the leather and make it look "new(er)"?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Welcome to the forum! I would look under automotive upholstery in your local Yellow Pages, most competent upholstery shops can do a very good job with making these items look new again. They will have a selection of material samples and can usually match almost any material that you like.

If you are not satisfied with present scheme, now is a perfect time to change to what you like. Be sure to ask for references and view work that is currently underway before committing to them starting work for you.

Good luck with your endeavor, and don't forget to check e-bay "rv furniture", for pricing of just replacing with new furniture. There are many reputable sources for new.

Kay

Schoolhouse,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations with your purchase!

You are at a point where you can customize your coach to meet you likings not the manufactures or previous owner. Some may call this an area of concern while others will love the opportunity to update the interior. Definitely recommend looking into local automotive upholstery shops as Kay mentioned above, that will be the most cost effective route to take.

If you decide to replace the furniture just make sure what you purchase can go into a Motorhome that will allow people to ride on it while the coach is in motion and the manufacture can supply you with seatbelts, you never know when people might be traveling with you. I was told RV trailer furniture is built to a lessor standard since no one rides in a trailer while traveling down the road and with that being said they also do not have seatbelts. I have some RV furniture on order from shop4seats.com. So far this company has been good to us with the dinette change last year. While my driver and passenger seat look decent our coach interior layout didn't suite or needs and one piece of furniture was missing when we bought it used in May 2014 so we are making some changes.

What ever you purchase if you are going to do the install yourself just be sure to look under where you are going to drill before doing so, there is a lot of plumbing and electrical wiring under the floor tucked up in the basement area, you don't want to drill through any of that by accident. Good luck if you have anymore questions just post on here and someone will be more than happy to help.

Joe

Thank you Kay and Joe.

Excellent suggestions.

Flash back to 1989....year of our coach......earth tones were the rage. Brown, beige, cream, solid colors- no patterns.

As you know, Beaver made a great product. Part of me wants to preserve the original look, part of me wants to add some additional character. You are both correct, now is the time to make that choice and move ahead.

Thanks again!