objackie

New To Towing

I am looking to tow a 2003-06 automatic vehicle.  I am looking at a Jeep Liberty, Ford Escape, or Subaru Forester.  I want a seat that folds down and a vehicle with enough clearance to take on dirt roads.  Are these good choices or do you have any suggestions!   JA

objackie.  Welcome.

If you want road clearance and off road running.  Jeep Wrangler 4 X 4, stay away from all wheel drive, Jeep Cherokee 4 X 4 is also good for those years.

Carl 

Welcome to the forum.

We tow a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade.  We like it for the four wheel drive and it is easy to set up for four down towing.  We would like to have a little more room especially when we have passengers so the Cherokee that Carl mentioned might be a good choice.

objackie, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

We tow a 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 4 door. Easy to set up as a toad and it tows nice. Interior room is decent.

If you are looking for ground clearance I am assuming you plan of off road adventures, for that reason I wouldn't recommend the Subaru or the Ford Escape, neither are a true 4x4 and off roading would really take its toll on them as the AWD system doesn't apply a direct link to each wheel end like a true 4x4 with a shifter or selector switch. They are hydraulic coupled AWD systems meant to assist in slippery situation's not constantly in an off road environment.

I learned that the hard way a few years ago on both manufactures :wub: 

Subarus are not towable 4 down with an automatic. We tow a manual tranny 2012 Forester. Three seasons now with no problems.  Very little experience off roading over the years. Usually rented a jeep when the urge hit us, but my DW doesn't enjoy it anymore. Oh well!

6 minutes ago, manholt said:

If I remember correctly, the OP was looking at something pre 2006.

Carl 

YUP, I saw that he's still good with a Jeep, not the others for off road. Those hydraulic viscous couplers on the AWD's make a real mess when they scatter across the road:wacko: