Carmar122

Bioblend Diesel

Question, do stations have to advertise what percent of fuel is biodiesel. I checked my local stations and all they say is low sulfur # 2 diesel. I noticed Flying J and Pilot advertise from 5% to 10 % bioblend. Since I recently had algae problems I was wondering if bioblend has anything to do with it. When I am traveling I exclusively use Flying J or Pilot. 

Carl 

2004 American tradition 

Carl,

Here's a pretty good discussion in Bio-Diesel. 

Diesel does have a propensity to grow organics over time.  Best way to combat is to use a biocide.  We use Stabil when storing our coach for a long period of time. 

Blake

Percent bio diesel vs "dino" diesel is a complex subject.

In some states, the minimum bio content is legislated-- generally pressure from farm lobbies, sometimes eco groups.

In some it is up to the refinery/oil company and can vary based on the spot price of bio vs dino.

In many cases, it changes by the tanker as spot prices change. 

Not all station employees have any idea what the percent bio really is that is in their tanks.

The algae doesn't grow in the diesel but in the boundary layer with the water. I don't think the type of diesel has that much to do with the algae problem.

The biggest problem I have heard is biodiesel has the ability to aggressively clean your fuel system and can cause clogged filters till the system is clean.

Like Britt said this is a complex subject.

Bill

I just bought diesel at Sams Club in Oklahoma City for $1.91/gal.  The pump posted 5% bio.  My biggest problem is that the pump shuts off at $100.  It took 107 gallons to fill so had to restart the pump 3 times.

3 minutes ago, desertdeals690 said:

I just bought diesel at Sams Club in Oklahoma City for $1.91/gal.  The pump posted 5% bio.  My biggest problem is that the pump shuts off at $100.  It took 107 gallons to fill so had to restart the pump 3 times.

And if you ask the proprietor of the facility they will tell you it is the credit card company.  I called my credit card company and the say that the only cut-off they have is if you reached your max amount allowed on the CC. So if you have a max of $6000 you ca put that much in your tank before the CC will cut you off.  It is the station the regulates the amount of cut-off.

Before fuel prices climbed to their high state several years ago the cut off was $50, then fuel prices increased so it raised to $75 so people could get a full tank in the "cars."  I guess prices have been raised so that it is now possible to put $100 in a cars tank.  To bad they don't know we have MH's.

As previously posted, some of the Flying J's/Pilot and other truck stops have stickers proclaiming "Up to 20% Biodiesel."  Guess with that sign they can be anywhere from 0 to 20%.