joelheck

HWH 325 Series - Right Rear, Slow Retract

I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, with HWH 325 series levelers.

The passenger rear leveler is very slow (over 3 minutes) in retracting. I tried getting it serviced and they did find a leak at the front controller from a pinched "O" ring. After the completed repair, I tried them out and the rear leveler still was very slow in retracting. In fact the mechanic, used a board to push it up. They told me it needed new springs, but to order them from Winnebago as they would charge me twice as much.

Well I ordered new springs, actually all 4 sets, since Winnebago had the wrong part # on their site. Next day they told me the right part and I ordered the rear springs. Not terribly expensive at around $35.00 per set.

I installed them all myself rather than ship the front ones back. Now the 3 levelers come in in around 30-45 seconds, but the passenger rear leveler, takes about 3 minutes to retract and the light go out.

I have been told it is either air in the line or a faulty/clogged solenoid.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I didn't see if you sprayed down the shaft with Silicone or otherwise lubed the shafts. One outher thing look and see if you have grease fittings on the bottom of the top part of the hydraulic cylinder. Also try running them up and down 5 0r 6 times.

Bill 

The service facility claimed they wiped down the shafts and checked them for any damage and straightness (and charged $72.00 labor for that). I did not see any fittings on the cylinders, but I will look again. They have been up and down 4 times, but I could try a few more. I did try calling HWH, but did not get through to the right person. I can try that again. Winnebago told me it could be air in the line or a bad solenoid. I appreciate the input.

The fitting is on the rim at the bottom of the top part of the ram (if you have them) they may be hard to see if crusted with old grease and dirt. Regularly spraying the shafts with silicone will help to keep them working. Remember they only retract  on the spring pressure. Like other parts of your coach they benefit from being "exercised". Running them through full travel should purge any air from the system.

Bill

I would swap the rear solenoids and see if the problem stays or moves to the other side.  If it stays it could be a kink in the tubing restricting the flow.

I called HWH and they took my number, saying a technician would call me back within a week.

I went over to my Winnebago, and lowered the back levelers, then I sprayed the right rear shaft with some silicon spray. I then raised them and it seemed to take a little over 2 minutes. So I lowered them again and sprayed once more,

This time I activated a timer on my phone. It took 1.5 minutes for both to raise and turn out the red lights. Apparently it needed lube and some cycling after the "O" ring repair.

I am also assuming the tech filled the hydraulic tank during the repair. It's looking good at this point, so I guess I'll just monitor them at this point. I do appreciate the suggestions, especially regarding spraying and cycling them a few times.

Thanks everyone.