n3bud

Front Generator Door Hinges

I was doing some work on the motor home today and when I closed the front hood it did not close correctly.  Checking I found that one hinge had broken loose from the body of the cab.  It appears as if it was being held in place by melted green plastic or glue.  Any ideas on how to fix other than drilling and installing bolts and nuts?  Vehicle is a 2002 Winnebago Journey DL.  

If the body is fiberglass, a good two part epoxy will probably work well, can be found at almost any autopart store. Simple to use just follow directions with the product.

13 hours ago, n3bud said:

I was doing some work on the motor home today and when I closed the front hood it did not close correctly.  Checking I found that one hinge had broken loose from the body of the cab.  It appears as if it was being held in place by melted green plastic or glue.  Any ideas on how to fix other than drilling and installing bolts and nuts?  Vehicle is a 2002 Winnebago Journey DL.  

Welcome to the forum. What you are seeing "melted green plastic or glue" is likely a epoxy glue of some kind. Is the hinge glued to the hood to? The only problem is going to be clamping the hinge in the right place/location when re installing.  Clean and sand both surfaces and clean with acetone. You can use one of several 2 part adhesives. Hear is one idea. 

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Weld-Epoxy-Adhesive-DP100/dp/B0074N8HS8

JB might hold as a alternative glue.

Bill

13 hours ago, n3bud said:

n3bud, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

It is hard to make a real good option to repair the hinge without seeing the setup. Could you possibly take some pictures and attach them to a post. The old saying that a picture is worth a 1000 words sure fits you issue.

Rich. 

Bud,

Is that a generator slide out in front?

I had a 07 WB Tour 40' DP and the hinges would open by themselves and slide would come all the way out, when I applied the brakes...a real trill.  I replaced the hinges with locks.  Took longer to open, but then it was only needed for Service and had no further problems!  It was the same latch look you have for access to engine!

Carl