rfsod48

Campgrounds Near I-20 SW of Birmingham AL

I would appreciate recommendations of a campground near I-20 southwest of Birmingham Al. We will be leaving Michigan in a week and may have to take this route depending on weather. Have traveled I-40 from Memphis in the past but weather was milder. We are heading to Arizona.

Thanks in advance, Roland 

I don't have a spot in that area. I would use RV park reviews and RV parky to look for one.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

http://www.rvparky.com/

What s your planned route and time frame? We had some cold weather in Fort Worth but by Tuesday it will be in the 70's so the weather may be moderating along I-40.

Bill

We plan to leave the 20th of January, we are going south to Nashville and will decide then based on weather. Went 40 to Little Rock last year and then 30. 

Roland 

Bill,

any thoughts about taking rt. 54 out of El Paso to rt. 404 to I10. Saw somewhere this was less mountains?

1 hour ago, rfsod48 said:

Bill,

any thoughts about taking rt. 54 out of El Paso to rt. 404 to I10. Saw somewhere this was less mountains?

Please try again. El Paso is on I-10.:) South out of El Paso will put you in Juarez.

I think you will just have to watch the wearer reports as you get ready to leave and adjust your travel to fit the conditions, including staying put till there is a break in the weather. The I-40 to I-30 would probbabley be the way I would go unless you are nervous about the weather. You could go straight south to I-10. Look at from Nashville I-65 to Birmingham then I-20 to Meridian, MS where you could drop down to New Orleans and pick up I-10. Yes it is longer but you can spend a few days in NO.:P That's never a bad thing. I  got to quit now I am thinking about Beignets at Cafe Dumonde http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignets

Then you are on track for San Antonio or drop down to the Gulf coast for some seafood. If you go far enough south you are in the Rio Grand Valley Snowbird capital of Texas, we don't need no Arizona.

Bill

Tannehille state park is 15 miles southwest of Birmingham, six miles below I-459 on I-20/I-59. Very nice campground, has about 60 full service and over 300 water and electric only. It's located about 5 miles off of I-20/I-59. They do not take reservations, but this time of year you will not need one, if senior citizen, full hookup is about $25.00 per day. I live within 10 miles of the park and will help in providing an adequate parking space. If my help is needed, post it here or PM me, I can provide cell # and be glad to help.