How critical is it to, as the manual states with the Demco Kar KaddySS, to "stop every 50 miles to check the tire straps"? We are considering a dolly system for our Lexus RX but stopping every 50 miles or so would add a lot of time to a trip and on the highways res areas are not always that close together. They also say 55mph max which we could probably live with. We have a Coach House 232fs on the Ford 450 chassis.

Any comments or experiences would be most appreciated

John Burke

Aiken SC

How critical is it to, as the manual states with the Demco Kar KaddySS, to "stop every 50 miles to check the tire straps"? We are considering a dolly system for our Lexus RX but stopping every 50 miles or so would add a lot of time to a trip and on the highways res areas are not always that close together. They also say 55mph max which we could probably live with. We have a Coach House 232fs on the Ford 450 chassis.

Any comments or experiences would be most appreciated

John Burke

Aiken SC

Let's start with the first question: Is your toad plus dolly within the towing rating and GCWR of your coach?

Before considering lengthening the interval I would visit with Demco and get a feel for both what you are checking (real details) and the reason for the 50 mile recommendation. Sometimes these recommendation ARE based on solid engineering/mechanical reasoning, sometimes on "lawyer speak". You deviate from the recommendations, you do assume some additional responsibility/liability.

And if you choose to deviate from the recommended safety check, I would only do it after repeated 50 mile checks show no issues and then perhaps start slowly lengthening the intervals. Note, I am not suggesting that you do extended the check intervals, only suggesting that it only be considered IF repeated 50 mile checks reveal no issues.

Sometimes asking other for advice on "what can I get away with" gets you just that "examples of what others have gotten away with". Not sure that is a reasonable basis for your doing it. For example, others may have different toads, are able to tension the straps tighter, only travel smooth roads, etc

Brett Wolfe

When we first started full timing, we used a tow dolly. We were at a park in California and the manager was talking to me as we were preparing to leave. He watched me tighten the straps on the wheels and then told me of a family who had traveled from the east coast. As they were leaving he noticed they didn't have the van strapped down. He hurried and stopped them. The man said he didn't know he was supposed to use straps!!! I find that story a little hard to believe. It must have been a pretty smooth and easy trip!

When your tow dolly is new, the straps will also be new. They will stretch as you use them, thus the admonition to check them every 50 miles. As you use them the stretch will become less but then they are getting older and you should check them carefully for wear and fraying. You will also learn from experience how well the strap tightening mechanism locks and holds. So those are some factors that might influence your decision to stop and check the straps.

I'll give you another reason to stop frequently and check your tow dolly. We were on our way across Kansas. My wife was driving when someone passed us and honked and signaled we should check the back. We pulled off at an upcoming exit to find we had a flat tire on the tow dolly. The tire was gone and the rim ruined. We didn't know a thing. Never felt any resistance or rough ride. We would have kept on driving for who-knows-how-many miles if the passing motorists hadn't stopped us. Fortunately the car wasn't damaged so the cost was minor compared to what it could be have been. A good tire monitoring system would help with this problem but without that, I'd recommend stopping frequently to check anything in tow, after all, it is your toad.

We used a Demco towdolly for better than 25 years. We changed to flat towing now only because the back and knees are not what they used to be, and I no longer have the kids (adults) traveling with us to help with the tow hookup.

From personal experience, you must check the straps at least once, after you are all hooked up and have traveled one mile or so. As the car shifts on the dolly the forward back motion takes some of the tension off the straps and they will loosen. A bit of tightening at that point cinches things down real tight.

I then check the dolly and all connections and tie-downs every time I stop for a break. I like to stop every two hours or so for a stretch, and a walk around the rig is good for the rig, good for my circulation, and is well liked by the dog.

After riding on a truly horrendous piece of road, like a street with lots of speedbumps or a long dirt access to a fairground I will make it a point of walking around the rig checking doors, hookups, anything and everything with a glance.

But these same precautions apply with the toad 4 down behind the motorhome.

In short, I do not and have not made it a practice of stopping every 50 miles to check the dolly. I do make it a practice of checking everything, tires (visually), tow cables, doors, dog and bladder (mine and hers) every 2 hours, approx.

Happy Trails.

Hi John,

I have the same dolly as you. After 5 years of using it, I consider the 50 mile rule lawyer speak. I have never done this. Also, the straps have been tight every time I have begun my unloading procedure.

Hi John,

I have the same dolly as you. After 5 years of using it, I consider the 50 mile rule lawyer speak. I have never done this. Also, the straps have been tight every time I have begun my unloading procedure.

[/quote

Dittto

Hello, we also have the same dolly and have towed everything from a Saturn to a Buick and Cadillac on it. We do not stop every 50 miles but do check the straps every stop we make to rest etc. which is usually every 2-3 hours of driving. We have never experienced any loose straps or problmes and have towed from Colorado to Calif and back several times. I wise investment would be a spare tire for your dolly.

Good luck and safe towing

Mike and Lori

Morrison, CO

John,

I use the same tow dolly as you do. I stop about every two to three hours for a break and check the straps as the others do and have not had a problem. Have been using it for about three years. I like the system as it works on any front wheel drive car. No additional equipment needed.

Jim & Mary

Sun Lakes, AZ