debsiver

Camping Near Glacier National Park & Route From Yellowstone

Question

We are new class A owners and are planning a trip to the National parks. We will be going to Glacier National from the west side of Yellowstone.

We are looking for the best route with the best camp sites. Thanks for your help.

3 answers to this question

We stayed at Grizzly RV Park, MT. We came the "other" way from Columbia Falls RV Park, MT to get to Grizzly with a stop at Jim & Mary's RV Park, Missoula, MT. We traveled down Hwy 93 to Hwy 90 and the roads heading that way are scarce.  We did decide to get off of the Interstate and we picked up US-287 near Carowell, MT.  We were so glad we did. the scenery was beautiful and the road was good. Two lane but doable in the 40 footer with TOAD.  Back-track that route and I think you will enjoy it.

On 3/18/2017 at 8:32 AM, debsiver said:

We are new class A owners and are planning a trip to the National parks. We will be going to Glacier National from the west side of Yellowstone.

We are looking for the best route with the best camp sites. Thanks for your help.

We were there last summer. We had not been in the area before so spent time at East Glacier and West Glacier. I do recommend using the West entrance. We stayed at Glacier Peaks Mini Storage, 3185 MT-40, Columbia Falls, MT 59912, glacierpeaksrvpark.com, (406) 892-2133.  It is on MT-40 but only about 100 yards from where US-2 Tees in to MY-40. US-2 is your main road around the south side of the park.

Plan on taking a Red Bus Tour http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours

You can drive your toad on the Going to the sun road but I enjoyed the tour and the guides input. This is probbabley the only way to get a parking place at Logan Pass Visitor's center. Here is a good web site to get more info. https://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm

From I-90 go north on 93 to Kalispell then pick up US-2 North.

I also endorse Jim & Mary's RV Park.

When in the West Yellowstone area we stayed at Buffalo Run RV Park & Cabins it is out a little ways but was suited to the other things we were doing in the area.

Any questions just ask.

Bill

Highly recommend the red bus tour on going to the sun road, that way you can enjoy the trip and be a rubber neck:D this is probably the most memorable trip we have made. Our sons who were 12 and 7 at the time still remember this and now they are in their 40"s

Roland