janz13732

Battery Damage From Freezing

Help! We are new to Family Motor Home group, and new to RVing. I tried searching this topic but could not find my problem.

Over the winter, the house batteries froze. What do we do now?

Can they be recharged? Must they be replaced? Suggestions for replacements?

Did we do something wrong in storage? We took it to dealer to be "winterized", but that only included the systems with water. Should we leave it plugged in to the 50amp outlet we had installed?

What are the proper battery settings if it is plugged in?

We have a gas Motor home. Lots of questions.

janz13732,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Some good questions.

Over the winter, the house batteries froze. What do we do now? Once froze, they are shot.

Can they be recharged? Must they be replaced? Suggestions for replacements? There are several choices depending on your needs (amount of dry camping), size of battery box and budget.  With more information we can make recommendations.

Did we do something wrong in storage? We took it to dealer to be "winterized", but that only included the systems with water. Should we leave it plugged in to the 50amp outlet we had installed? Tell us what converter, charger or inverter/charger you have.  That will help us with "best practices" for YOUR electrical system.

What are the proper battery settings if it is plugged in? See question immediately above.

On 3/29/2017 at 10:24 AM, janz13732 said:

Should we leave it plugged in to the 50amp outlet we had installed?

Probably was not plugged in, I'm still looking for the charger that works without being plugged in. Carl where are you when you are needed?:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Probably was not plugged in, I'm still looking for the charger that works without being plugged in. Carl where are you when you are needed?:rolleyes:

Solar works without being plugged it.  It only needs sun!.