Sign in to follow this  
rfsod48

Steering Gear Adjustment

I put my XC (entire RV) into the Freightliner shop every year. I was concerned about the play/lash so I asked that they check it.  The technician said he torqued all the bolts to the front end.  It made a big difference.  However, there is still some "wandering" if I can call it that so this past year I put on the Safe-T-Plus system. What a major difference that has made.  Totally satisfied with it.

Did you have the front and rear alignment checked before installing Safe T Plus?  It is recommended.

Roland,

Depends on what steering box you have.  Some like Sheppard are NOT externally adjustable.  Certainly, a call to Freightliner, Gaffney with your VIN would get you the correct information for the steering box on your coach.

Freightliner 800 385-4357

Freightliner did confirm that my steering box can be adjusted. Who would be the service provider to perform this? I have my coach ready for sale and this is the last issue I want to try to fix.

Any suspension/alignment shop that works on trucks. Certainly a Freightliner dealer world qualify.

You DO need someone familiar with doing it, as too tight can ruin the steering box.