Sf49erfan

2006 Monaco Executive Won't Start

Hello again!  Looking for some input on my 2006 Monaco Executive Matterhorn IV.  We replaced the batteries in December.  We have been parked at a campground since mid-January.  I have occasionally cranked the coach and generator up.   I have taken the coach out once to get it washed- get snow/dirt off.  I cranked the engine up approx 3-4 weeks ago.  

Approx 2 weeks later, I tried to crank the engine and got nothing.  Was out of town and just hooked up the battery charger to the batteries.  When I try and crank the coach, it sounds like it is trying to start, the dash gauges register, start flashing and then the lights over passenger seat flash with the cranking of the coach.  Coach doesn't start.  

The battery gauge is showing we have enough juice for the batteries to be working, but still can't get the coach to start.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks so much for reading and any input.

Tracey

@Bill- I started the generator, but then it shut off after approx 10 minutes.  We hooked the batteries to my husbands truck and eventually got the  coach started.  I am just concerned because these are new batteries and I don't feel like it has sat without usage.  I have started the coach multiple times to prevent that, or so I thought.

@Herman- I did not check the fluid levels. Is that something we would encounter with batteries that we just purchased in December?

Thanks for the input!

Tracey

Lets start with why the genarater shut off. Do you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel?  Did you try to restart it?

I don't staart my coach unless I can drive it atleast 30 miles. This will get everything up to temperature. Short runs maynot be enough to charge start batterys. Look at and clean the conections.

If you have lead asid batterys you need to cheack the electrolite leavel about quarterley or more often in hot climets.

Did you try the boost switch to tye both battery banks together? (you have to hold it down to make conection)

Let me know what you find.

Bill

Tracey ,

In short yep.

That is unless they are maintenance free.

As for the generator, what is your fuel level and did you put in a fuel conditioner before you stored the coach and was the tank full?

Herman 

Tracey,

Two main issues:  Coach won't start.  Sounds like your chassis (start) batteries are dead.  Our 2005 Monaco wasn't wired to charge the chassis batteries when plugged into shore power.  Found that out the hard way after I drained the batteries to a point of no return.  Given you've been in snow country and you were able to jump start the coach, I would say your chassis batteries were low on juice.  Hopefully not to the point of total failure.

To keep my chassis batteries up, I installed a Battery Tender to the chassis batteries and plugged it into the 120v plug in the engine compartment.  So, I'm always plugged into shore power when parked and the Tender keeps the chassis batteries happy and healthy.  Not a problem since then.  I think Herman may have just done this to his Monaco also (or fixin to do it).  Home Depot sells the Battery Tender.  About $45 bucks or so.

Generator will only run a few minutes:  I think Bill's comment about low fuel may be spot on.  If you are low, and once you fill up, you will have to "prime" the fuel lines by attempting to start several times.  The generator may start and sputter and shut down, but give it another try....it should eventually run fine.

Blake

Tracy.

Where there is snow, it's also cold.  Did you add anti gel to your fuel...and always have a full tank when parked for a long time!  I also add Stabil to my fuel tank for diesel and gas, when it's not being used for more than a month.

Bill, is right.  Just starting a diesel and letting it idle, does more harm than good...drive the coach.  The generator will only run if you have more than 25% fuel in your tank, that's a safety feature, so you will not run out off fuel. 

For a trickle charger, I would look at a 12V Marine Tender ($125), simple and very effective.  Was going to have one installed yesterday, but unlike Monaco, I don't have a 120V plug in engine compartment.  Mine will be a little different today!  Will post what they did.

Carl

Tracey, one thing that wasn't mentioned, do you have an auto start generator? If so disable it for now, it will shut the generator off when the batteries reach a certain level. Thee are also devices you can purchase for around $100.00 that will automatically maintain the chassis batteries while being plugged into shore power.

Here is an example, I helped a friend install on his Tiffin https://www.westmarine.com/buy/xantrex--digital-echo-charge-battery-charger--333669?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%20-%20Product%20Type-_-333669&product_id=333669&adpos=1o1&creative=108421552324&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CLH9zpH8nNMCFQeBswodUY4HPQ

Hello all, thank you for the info.  

Generator- yes, the coach has a little over half a tank of gas.  I have filled the coach up once since we have parked, as the aqua hot runs on diesel.  The fuel is winterized fuel.  The generator ran for approx 10 minutes and then shut off.  I restarted and it ran for maybe a minute and then shut off again; this happened twice and I didn't try again.  I was afraid there was a problem with the generator and didn't want to do any damage.

@Bill- I tried again to start the coach today, and again, it won't start.  I am not able to take the coach out on the road until Friday, so hopefully that will charge her up good.  I did try holding the battery boost button down today when I tried to start it.

@Blake-- I will look into the battery tender.  These batteries were just purchased in December.  New to RV'ing so never thought this would be a problem with new batteries.

@Hermann- we are living in the coach right now, so it isn't stored.  I didn't put anything in the fuel as it is winterized fuel.

Thanks again!

Tracey

When was the last time the generator fuel filter was changed?

My Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel sputtered and shut down and wouldn't restart.  Changed the fuel filter it fired right up.  The filter had been in service less than 100 hours and never had any problem with coach engine.

Jim

Will not start on boost.  When you looked at water level, was that on all batteries?  They where all to the full mark?  I know they are brand new, that don't matter, when your on shore power, does your house batteries get charged?  I'm thinking over charge and your low on fluid or you have a bad or weak cell.

Carl

@abyrd- the generator was serviced in December, so I assume then.

@manholt- I did not look at the water level in the batteries.  I assumed that was all good since they are new batteries.  I will look tomorrow.

Tracey

I have bought many acid batteries, over the years, for RV's and cars, that I had to go back and exchange for another because it was bad.  You don't know how long a battery has been sitting on a shelf, before you bought it.  Same for Gel and AGM. 

Never assume anything

I have had people tell me they add water every other week :o. For us it was once a month when I had wet cell batteries, I thought that was too much!