Hi,

I would like to know how long I can be.  I have a 40' Newmar Dutch Star 2001 and I want to buy a trailer.

I need at least 20'? I have a cdl if that matters.

Thanks

Hotrod 2

On the interstates you can probably pull a 20 footer with no problem. I have seen 45' conversions pulling large trailers often and I have spent a lot of time observing. 

The chart that Kay linked has the information you need.  A 20 foot trailer with a 40 foot coach would work in some states, those with a 65 foot combined vehicle length.  Assuming some distance for the hitch, you would likely come in at 62 feet more or less.  There are states, Mississippi, New Jersey and a few others that are significantly less than 60 feet.  With our toad, we come in at 65 feet.  We just came through Mississippi so we were clearly over the limit.  We've traveled every state in the US (except Hawaii) and every province in Canada (except Nunavut) and never been questioned or stopped regarding our length.  If you were over the limit for a state and were involved in an accident, you could have a problem.  So legally, you may encounter a problem but practically, you likely won't have any problem.

Check your GVWR to ensure that you will come in under the weight limits for your coach.  You would have to know what your loaded trailer would weigh to compute this but it could be calculated if you knew the weight of your cargo and then the weight of the trailer you intend to purchase.  Exceeding the GVWR would exceed the limits for your coach which take into account the capacity of the braking system and other handling aspects of the chassis. 

Finally be sure that the weight and tongue load of the trailer won't exceed the capacity of your hitch.