Maserati

New Owner: 99 Allegro Bus With Maintenance Questions

Hi everyone, a couple of questions. We picked up a new to us 99 Allegro Bus, love it so far without exception it being our first coach.

A question regarding fluids and filters on the Cummins 330.

Would you recommend having all of the fluids and filters changed as I really have no idea as to when they were all done last. The previous owner said in the fall but I'd would rather know for sure!

Do you recommend the Oasis Freightliner centers or ??

What cost am I looking at to have this done?

Thanks in advance

Maserati --

Welcome to the wonderful world of motorhome owners!  Nearly two years ago I purchased my first motorhome (diesel pusher) as an upgrade to my 32 foot travel trailer.  I purchased the motorhome from a consignment dealer in the Houston area.  The motorhome was owned by an elderly couple (both near 90) who used the motorhome very little (only had 6,000 miles) and kept no maintenance records.  Being eight years old with little use, I had all fluids and filters changed by the consignment dealer's service center for the engine, generator and transmission.  I also had the coolant changed and radiator flushed.   Since then I've had a mobile RV lube service business in the Houston area do the annual engine oil and filters changes and the every 150 hours oil and filter service for the generator (the name of the company is RV Mobile Lube).  The mobile service provider is ~$100 more expensive than taking the motorhome to a service center but the convenience is worth the extra cost as the mobile service will come to the RV storage facility I use on a Saturday when I'm home from work.  RV Mobile Lube website --> http://www.rvmobilelube.com/RV_home.php

A truck service center west about 15 miles west of Houston by the name of B-Line Lube charges ~$250 for full engine service.  Such a service center may be available in your area. B-Line Lube website --> http://www.blinelube.com/services.html

I have only talked to the Houston Freightliner service center about motorhome work.  Because they only have one motorhome mechanic, their service/repair work back log is 3-4 months.  The service/repair work back log at the Houston Camping World is even longer.  Hence why I pay for the convenience of the mobile lube service.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

When you get a chance, prepare your "profile" (motorhome type, location in the U.S., tow vehicle type, etc.).  The forum members are very helpful with ideas and experiences.  The best help comes when the forum members know your type of motorhome and tow vehicle.

Good luck with your new to you motorhome.  You and your family will love the many adventures that await you!

Welcome to the forum!

You don't say where your at.  I would call and make an appointment with a Cummins Service center.  They can take a sample of your oil and Transmission fluid and send it in to a lab that will tell how healthy your system is, at the same time let them check out all belts and hoses, change oil and filter, fuel filter, fuel/water separator filter, lube chassis and make sure they lube the u joint on drive shaft until it is visible, then  wipe off excess.  Check screen on Allison and check coolant to see if it needs changing (probably not).  Have them look at air dryer filter and replace if necessary.

Look at the DOT # on your tires, 4 digits=week and year of manufacturing, if over 7 years, get new tires!  If 5 or 6 years old check for hairline cracks in sidewall, also an indicator that you need to replace.

Have you looked at the roof?  If not, do so and look at all that is up there, if you see any caulking that is dry and cracking then scrape it away and get some Dicor and re caulk.  Check for pin holes and fill with caulk.  The last thing you want is water in your sides or under roof, that can get real expensive quickly!

Other than that, go have fun and remember that a diesel don't like sitting around, so if you cant use it or are camped for 3 or more weeks, disconnect and drive it for 25+ miles to get the fluids moving around ! :lol:

Since it has not been used much.  Fill the fresh water tank 1/4 full, then add a gallon of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% ($4 at Wall Mart).  Let sit 10 minutes, then open all faucets and run the mix thru. Close faucets and let sit 10 minutes...meantime fill water tank full, then open all faucets again and run for 10 minuets.  I do that twice a year and have no problems!  Since my park water hose is on a reel, I draw out about half the hose and pour a quart of HP3% in 4x a year, connect to faucet and send enough water in to get outside shower to work, shut off and let sit about 15 minutes, then I disconnect add my filter and reconnect.    I hate using bleach, it's a waste of good water! :P

Carl has excellent suggestions, as usual, about the air dessicant drier/filter for your air brakes system.  On my motorhome, the drier/filter had never been changed.  The housing was "frozen" with corrosion to the dessicant/filter cartridge and could not be separated.  A new housing plus filter had to be installed.  I now have the air drier/filter on the list of annual filter replacements (Carl is annual air drier/filter replacement too frequent?).

Also have the serpentine belt checked and replaced if there is not record of this being done.  The serpentine belt on my motorhome was hard and cracked from eight years of weather degradation.  The form has several examples of bad experiences from a broken serpentine belt.

I agree with Carl about tires.  RV tires will rarely be replaced because of mileage.  They just get old and need replacing to avoid a bad consequence of having old tires.  I installed new Goodyear HSA tires on my motorhome when I purchased it because the original tires were original and eight years old.  I just didn't want to take a chance.  This video shows why good tires are essential -->

Lookup speedco.com to maybe find a sight near you. You can get an oil and filter change (oil and fuel filters) along with a grease job for around $300. The driveshaft is an important part of the grease portion. They are setup for RVs along with their mainstay, commercial vehicles as well as RVs. At least while you  struggle with what else to do to get things up to requirements you will have eliminated a lot of worry. They know what they are doing, first come first serve, no appointments. Used them for quite a few years.

I am one that believes the best person to service a Cummins engine is a Cummins shop.  I usually go to a regional service center, preferably one that is a Coach Care Center.  They will have electricity hook-ups available and are aware of motor home owners concerns.  Yes, the price will be a little higher but I don't like to go cheap on preventive maintenance.  Considering your investment in your coach, what is a few hundred dollars to make sure that the engine gets proper care.  You will be certain of OEM parts and they give the engine a thorough inspection.  If you get all fluids and filters replaced, the cost will be much greater than I see quoted above.  At Cummins they can test fluids like the coolant and may save you money by testing to assure you that it meets their standards. 

I go to Freightliner for chassis work but Cummins does my engine work.

We are not talking about anything unique to Cummins, Tom. Very basic stuff. An oil change, with fuel and oil filter replacement. Speedco will easily be able to detect chassis related problems as they grease the chassis and drive shaft. The engine air cleaner will probably be low hanging, and they will be able to quickly replace that.  Might even have a replacement air dryer filter/dessicant.

You do not need to   spend manufacturers labor rates for basic service of an engine. Used Speedco for years and they work from a pit. Not crawling around underneath on a creeper.  That makes the guy doing the service  standing as he looks up for possible problems easily observed. One does not need to spend Manufacturers labor rates for basic stuff. 

Check my profile. I do know my way around things diesel powered, air braked, with many grease fittings that need regular service. Usually every month and 1/2 or so. Whole lot different than running a motorhome for at best 20,000 miles a year.

Spending manufacturers labor rates while waiting on an appointment for basic maintenance is just not necessary.

If it might be time for valve adjustment or anything that only a Cummins Tech could properly do, by all means go to one, but not for an oil and filter change and a grease job.

fagnaml.  Annual? For air drier replacement.  You should not have to replace it. I have mine looked at every 2 years, had the filter replaced in November 2015.  On my coach it back blows by itself, gets rid of any moisture.  Yours may be different.  2 other DP's I had, I had to open the air manually every time I left a campground...lots of times I would leave and go find a place to pull over and do it.  Nobody likes to hear that noise at 7 am! :lol:

My Significant Other replaced hers 3 weeks ago, got it from NAPA $178.  She has a 2006 Tiffin with a CAT 380.  Yeah, she likes to drive her own and follow me...Chandler, AZ was a 4,000 + mile R/T...If you really want to know all about your DP, Join Diesel Club Chapter, we only meet 2x a year, but have our own forum and very informative newsletter.  Also a lot of discounts on diesel products from DD, Cummins and CAT.

Carl