Sign in to follow this  
rhinderber

Xantrex Freedom 10 Inverter Buzzing

I have a Freedom 10 inverter/charger I noticed it is buzzing.

Does that mean something is using power, or is that normal. 

Are you plugged in (i.e. inverter/charger is "passing through the 120 VAC and charging the batteries?

OR is it inverting power from the batteries to power 120 VAC in the coach because you have no shore power and generator is off?

That is my question as far as I am aware everything is off. The house batteries have been draining,it takes 2or3 days not enough power to start the generator. Engine battery is good, start engine charge house batteries ,then start generator to finish charging house batteries. So if the inverter is buzzing something is on and using power?  

2 hours ago, rhinderber said:

That is my question as far as I am aware everything is off. The house batteries have been draining,it takes 2or3 days not enough power to start the generator. Engine battery is good, start engine charge house batteries ,then start generator to finish charging house batteries. So if the inverter is buzzing something is on and using power?  

You did not mention having the manual for the inverter / charger. so this is a link to get a copy.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Discontinued-Products/Freedom_combie_Owner_manual.pdf

My first thought is you are hearing a buzz caused by the transformer plates vibrating. This is quite common in older power equipment. This should stop when the charger is disconnected from generator or shore power. Still buzzing then turn off the inverter portion using the remote panel or disconnect the 12 volt  negative power cable  from the unit. This series of tests should confirm what section of the unit is buzzing.

Rich.

I'd like to know the year, make and model of your RV and the chassis you have.

Every manufacturer is different. Have you called the Mfg of your coach and asked questions.

In my specific case the step motor draws a constant current (Current Limiting Switch) and the steps have to be turned off for the trickle charge to work effectively charging the batteries.  It might be there is some small thing like that keeping your batteries drained.

The unit is a 1998 Safari Trek 2830 with a Chevy P-30 chassis. I discovered (or was told)) don't remember, that the inverter has an on/off switch, after turning the switch off the switch in the kitchen worked and I turned the power off. I also turned the switch in the entry step area and have had no battery drain since.I understand there is a disconnect somewhere for the step so it can be shutoff while parked, so it doesn't need to cycle every time the door is opened or closed,haven't located it yet.

5 hours ago, rhinderber said:

The unit is a 1998 Safari Trek 2830 with a Chevy P-30 chassis. I discovered (or was told)) don't remember, that the inverter has an on/off switch, after turning the switch off the switch in the kitchen worked and I turned the power off. I also turned the switch in the entry step area and have had no battery drain since.I understand there is a disconnect somewhere for the step so it can be shutoff while parked, so it doesn't need to cycle every time the door is opened or closed,haven't located it yet.

Well, try this trick until you find the step switch location inside the coach. Think the power steps will come in when you turn on the ignition switch, so maybe you can start the engine retract the steps turn off the engine and open the door - do the steps stay up/closed or do they extend. 

Common practice on the P-30 chassis was to have steps wired - so they come in  when the engine is running (safety issue)-steps powered from the chassis battery via the ignition circuit, but they also wired in a circuit powered from the coach battery, so one can retract the steps from inside when the engine is not running and this circuit has a separate fuse.

So if the steps extend with the engine off - both fuses are good and the switch needs to be located. Got to be close to the door. To keep it from being turn on or off it might be located in a cabinet  in the area.

Rich.

From the manual:

"The electric step is controlled by two methods: the activation of the ignition switch and by

an ON/OFF switch near the doorway. The ON/OFF switch controls the 12 VDC power
to the step. If the switch is on, then the step will extend and retract when the door is
opened and closed. If the switch is OFF, the step will not move. Therefore, to lock the
step in its extended position when parked, turn the switch ON, open the door, and allow
the step to extend, then turn off the switch.
The ignition switch overrides the ON/OFF switch. When the ignition is switched to the
ON position and the door is opened the step will extend. It will automatically retract
when the door is closed.

Some coaches are equipped with other safety features that help to prevent damage to the
step or motor."

Hope that helps.

12 hours ago, rhinderber said:

The entry door switch is the on/off switch. From what I read you have to have the switch on to extend or retract the step. Once it is extended or retracted and the switch is turned to off it will stay in the last position.  Turning that switch off is the disconnect switch.  Unfortunately it appears that you will have to retract the step from the inside turn the switch off and then open the door. The step should be retracted. How you exit the RV after that point is up to you. I'm not young enough to jump down.  I could sit down on the last step and "gently" slide out.

p.s., depending on floor plan the inverter switch should be in or near the galley.  To reset the inverter you turn it on and off 3 times. When it is in the off position the inverter should not be active.

Does the inverter need to be reset when it is turned back on?The step switch is the step light switch. Turn the light on and it turns the step off.So I can leave the step extended while it is parked, a position it will be in until I find the reason for the gas smell when starting and the miss after it starts.The ignition overrides the step when turned to start.

rhinderber,

The inverter should maintain all the presets and startup with the same setting.

Your model year chassis has fuel injection and the fuel pump will build up pressure before the engine starts. So the leak could be anywhere between the fuel tank and the engine.

The pump should stop once the fuel pressure reaches the preset shutoff pressure and if the system is leaking, the fuel pump will start up and cycle when the full pressure drops even with the engine off. IF the pump cycles only when the engine is running - the leak is after the pressure switch and in a injector line, the injector or the fuel return line.

Rich.