aksafariman

Power Transfer Switch or Surge Guard?

I have NEVER seen a GFCI on a 30 amp or 50 amp circuit at any campground I have ever visited.  I don't think the campground owner/host has a clue what he is talking about.  Do you see the 2 little buttons on any outlet in the box other than 1 possibly being on the 15/20 amp plug?

10 hours ago, BillAdams said:

I have NEVER seen a GFCI on a 30 amp or 50 amp circuit at any campground I have ever visited.  I don't think the campground owner/host has a clue what he is talking about.  Do you see the 2 little buttons on any outlet in the box other than 1 possibly being on the 15/20 amp plug?

There are GFCI made all amp ratings.  On one of the 30 amp service in front of Mike's Custom Painting there is a GFCI.

2 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

There are GFCI made all amp ratings.  On one of the 30 amp service in front of Mike's Custom Painting there is a GFCI.

No question that higher rated GFI breakers are available.

I am just not aware that current code calls for them on 30 and 50 amp RV service.

Also, if several decades of motorhoming, I have never seen one in an RV park.

Bill, You might Test the coach wiring by doing this.

Open the Main Breakers in the AC panel - Connect the shore power cord. Does the GFI trip ? Yes or No ?  Did the Surge protector go green ?

If The Shore power GFI still trips with the mains open - The you need to check the wiring between the shore power input, transfer relay and the main breaker box are correct and tight. If everything is OK - then check the shore power cable connections or just barrow one from a friend and see if things work or not - if things work it is something in the shore cable. 

GFI does not trip, turn on one of the main breakers(if 50 amp setup) did the GFI trip? No, turn off that brearker. If it trips turn off that barker, rest the GFI  

Turn on the second Main breaker, Does the GFI trip? Yes or No?

If the shore power GFI does not trip when only one side of the Main breakers closed at a time. Turn on both and see if the GFI trips. No! then by turning off the mains - connecting to shore power shore with the mains open and then turning on the mains is the way to allow  the surge protector time to connect and get power.

If the GFI only trips when one of the mains is turned on - That is the circuit the GFI does not like. 

Open all the sub breakers on that main and turn them on one at a time - until the GFI trips, you just found the circuit that has an issue.

If the GFI only trips when both mains are on then there is an issue between the neutral and grounds between the 2 main breakers that the GFI is sensing.

Make sure all the neutrals are on a common buss and all the Grounds are on a common buss!

No neutrals or common ground connections mixed between the 2 buses.

Make sure All the Connections on the Neutrals and grounds are tight.

Bill, just realized there is a quick test - to see if by chance there is a neutral and a ground wire cross connected.

With the coach disconnected from shore power - using an Ohm meter ( no power and the generator not running)

measuring between the  ground pin and the neutral wire should read an open circuit. THE Only time they are connected is when you are connected to the power riser !!!

Allot to test,but they should narrow down the problem to the item(s) causing the problem of the GFI tripping.

Rich.   

A gfci breaker certainly is not in any code that I know of. The gfci on a 240 circuit would be an overkill, it would be tripping both sides at once causing complete failure to the entire coach, as the gfi is designed to measure amperage between the hot leg and common with 4 milliamps difference, "that's 4/1000 of an amp", triggering the throw. Electric motors starting will cause a gfi to throw, so electrical code even allows for no gfi even in a basement of a home if the device has an electric motor that must be started, ie, fridge, ac, woodworking tools, and others. The rv is already supposed to have gfi protection in any area where it is needed.

Again thank you all for your thoughts.  I certainly never expected to generate so much discussion on my problem/situation.  Thanks again.

Rich,  thanks for the detailed explanation of how to go about checking the wiring/circuits. I will need to go get my  coach again and bring it back to the house, then arrange use of a space before I can run the tests you suggest.   I think it will be interesting to see what I may find and would also be nice to correct a possible problem. 

Bill

Bill, just realized there is a quick test - to see if by chance there is a neutral and a ground wire cross connected.

With the coach disconnected from shore power - using an Ohm meter ( no power and the generator not running)

measuring between the  ground pin and the neutral wire should read an open circuit. THE Only time they are connected is when you are connected to the power riser !!!

Rich.