piperfrank1

Recommendation For State To Title A New Country Coach

Mine is not registered as a commercial unit but it is registered and owned by an LLC.

There was no implication that a CDL was necessary to drive it.

But I will check tomorrow on those particulars.

On 10/17/2017 at 8:11 PM, manholt said:

Tom.  When Monaco went, so did all the other brands they owned...Beaver, CC, Safari, HR.  I'm missing one.

Monaco never had Country Coach.  They picked up HR in the late 90's or early in 2000's then later Beaver and Safari, then the industry tanked in 2008-2009 and nothing has been the same since.  Monaco and associated brands went to Navistar.  Beaver and Safari lines ended there.  Monaco and Holiday Rambler were sold to a private concern, the recreation vehicle portion of that company has now been reorganized into the REV Group which also purchased Fleetwood and American Coach.  Where we go from here is anybodies guess...  We learned in a recent presentation from REV Group that what had been purchased were the brand names.  I'm no longer sure who is running the show and what they intend to do.  Only two models of Monaco have been manufactured in the last few years as far as I can tell.  Several models of HR are being produced. 

I am encouraged by the resurgence in the number of coaches we see on the road.  Beginning in 2003-2004, the price of fuel had most motor homes sitting at the end of a driveway with a for sale sign on them.  We saw very few on the road during that period.  This summer we've seen them everywhere. 

By the way, did anyone see the Moon and Venus in the sky Tuesday morning before sunrise?  It was an amazing sight.  The Cubs just beat the Dodgers, can they pull off a miracle?  I wonder if it will rain tomorrow...  Now what were we talking about?  :P

I did see the sliver of the moon with Venus shining brightly Tuesday morning. Beautiful sight to see for sure....we're talking about the demise of the CC brand I believe.:D

A demise for certain and a the best State to Title the same ghostly thing? :blink::wacko:  I would suggest Oregon as a final R.I.P.!:rolleyes:

Bob Lee and wife are traveling the country in their 2016 Allure, the first and last CC built since 2008 that came out in 2010 with the Veranda!  RIP.

Carl,

Bob Lee just passed away a few weeks ago. It is his brother Ron Lee that is driving the newest and last Country Coach built. I have seen pictures of it and it is ugly as a mud fence . Real retro in the colors and just plain old ugly

Yeah, I saw it inside/outside when it came of line...retro is a good description!  I did not know of Bob's passing...sad. :(

On 10/18/2017 at 7:36 PM, manholt said:

FIVE.

Your State is where?  Other than somewhere in the USA !

Presently in AR. The laws are very strict about living here and tagging a vehicle out of state.  AR has an ad valorem tax so they get you every year, taxing and retaxing cars, trucks, RVs, boats, motorcycles and anything else you own.  As the property ages, the tax goes slowly down, but it takes a long time especially on high dollar toys.

On October 17, 2017 at 10:03 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Not unless they are commercial. 

Like Herman said, you will be in deep dodo if you are caught being licensed as commercial and not following ALL the requirements. 

Bill

Yeah, let a lawyer on the opposing side of a courtroom get ahold of that info.

As far as I know, which entity owns a vehicle is not the only factor used in determining whether or not it's a commercial vehicle. If I buy a class-8 semi as an individual and use it for commercial purposes to haul loads for pay, it's a commercial vehicle. If GE buys a motor home as a perk for its CEOs personal use then it's a motor home and will carry motor home plates. If a band buys a motor home and hires a driver and then uses the vehicle as a way to get to gigs, it's likely that it would be deemed a commercial vehicle. What I'm trying to say is that these things are not as simple as whose name is on the title. One other difference that may be found though is the insurance rates. My step van is insured through my wood shop's LLC. I'm told that the premium would be about 1/3 lower if I transferred ownership to my name as an individual.

All that said, here in Wisconsin I pay about $118/year for plates on our coach. There is no personal property tax here, but we do have state income tax. Even then, based on the sticker price of some of the newer Class A rigs, I bet that the state income tax would be less than the personal property tax in some states. Insurance isn't bad here either unless you garage the vehicle in a few of the higher risk zip codes.

Not sure what's involved in establishing residence here, but Wisconsin has some great areas for spending time over the summer (especially up north) so it may be worth a look.