I currently own a 2017 Thor 35SD and when I attempt to disconnect the shore power and use the inverter it throws a code E05.  As a result the refrigerator does not work even with the motor running.  I have looked online and the articles refer to a converter rather than an inverter.  Can anyone assist in finding the problem or suggest where I might be able to find an inverter so I can reset it?  I am currently on the road and have looked under the bed and in the bins to no avail.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

Do you have a residential refrigerator runs  on 120V AC power only or a RV refrigerator that operated either on propane or 120V AC.

A inverter converts a DC voltage to AC (typically 12v DC to 120v AC on a RV)  

A converter converts a AC voltage to DC (typically 120v AC to 12v DC on a RV)

We will need more information to help you solve your problem.

Jim

P

Please post exactly what converter, charger or inverter/charger you have.

Without that we are all speculating-- which will not do you any good.

Based on my breaker panel I have a converter and not an inverter. Not familiar with a converter or if there is a reset for it. I do have a transfer switch in the basement area but it doesn't have any outside switches and looks to be opened only by a professional.

IMG_5321.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG

When I look the Xantrex Pro XM1800 up online it shows an inverter yet the fuse panel breaker list shows a converter (on a 15amp breaker).  Sorry if this all doesn't make sense but I am not good at all with electronics.

Found the inverter in an underneath basement storage area. Checked the reset button which was not "kicked". Unplugged the shore power and turn on the inverter and the fridge did not turn on as it always did. Started the engine and again turned on the inverter and still the fridge does not come on. In both instances the inverter control panel codes "E05". I made sure nothing else was on but one led interior light and the propane for heat.

IMG_5325.JPG

I am at a loss at this point. My wife and I have 3 months on the road scheduled and I would prefer to avoid the dealer at all costs. This is the first time we have not had the ability to have power to the refrigerator when on the road by simply turning on the inverter.  The coach currently has 6k miles on it and we bought it with 3k miles.  I am planning a trip to Florida at the end of December and would rather not have to run the generator to operate the refrigerator as you can understand.  Open to any further suggestions. Thank you again.

Rich

Rich.  What happens when you turn your generator on?  What king of batteries do you have, acid or AGM...can you look at water level in batteries?  Have you looked at voltage on each of your batteries with a voltmeter?  Make sure that all grounds are tight and making good contact, including inverter!

Carl C.

I appreciate all the advice and I will do as suggested.  One last question, am I suppose to leave the inverter on when on shore power?  I get a green light and good readings when hooked to shore power and inverter turned on but a red light, code, and alarm when not connected to shore power.  I always have the inverter off when I am connected to shore power.  If I leave the inverter on when connected to shore power would this charge the batteries or does the shore power charge the batteries with the inverter off when connected to shore power?  Did I run the batteries down when shore power is connected because I always have it off?  I have 50 amp at my home in my building and always leave the inverter off there as well.

I am thinking it may be the batteries or water level in the batteries.  I have 2 under the stairs.  I will check the water level and also do a check with the volt meter.  Thank you all for your help.

Your xantrex pro XM1800 is an inverter (not charger function). So, your CONVERTER is what charges the batteries when any external source of 120 VAC is present (generator or shore power). This will occur irrespective of whether inverter is turned on or off since it is done by a completely different device.

What is your battery voltage when plugged in?

When unplugged?

Said another way, battery charging is by the converter. 

According to the Xantrex manual, your model inverter has a built-in   transfer switch.  So, either off or on, when generator or shore power on, the transfer switch in the inverter "passes along" that power. When no external power, only when you turn on the inverter will it power the refrigerator, etc.

4 hours ago, Hermanmullins said:

As Bill said, Unplug the refrigerator.

Then plug it straight into a shore power outlet that you know have power. It may just be your refrigerator and not the coach.

Herman

I copied Herman so I didn't have to re type his post.^_^

With your inverter and converter on (I just leave them on) Test the current at the refrigerator outlet. Are there 2 outlets behind the refrigerator? Test both of them if there are 2. Test with shore power on and with it off.  Lets measure the power with the generator on. What is the voltage of each of the auxiliary (house) battery's?

Bill

Rich, until you get to the bottom of your electrical problems please  know your refrigerator will stay cold along time without power. just run your generator every 4 or 5 hours for a 1/2 hour or so and refrigerator will stay plenty cold. Try not to open unless needed. Just a little band aid until fixed.  

Carl 2004 American tradition 40 w Spartan 118,000

47 minutes ago, greenbarn1 said:

Rich, until you get to the bottom of your electrical problems please  know your refrigerator will stay cold along time without power. just run your generator every 4 or 5 hours for a 1/2 hour or so and refrigerator will stay plenty cold. Try not to open unless needed. Just a little band aid until fixed.  

Carl 2004 American tradition 40 w Spartan 118,000

Carl, Add your coach to your signature in your profile and it will be added automatically and you won't have to type it every time.

Bill

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.  The inverter shows over 13 volts when powered to shore power.  It also so when not powered by shore power.  I checked the batteries for water and they are fine.  I used a voltage tester and found each (2)6 volt battery providing 6.75 volts when not on shore power.  So it appears the batteries are fine, the shore power works fine, the generator works fine, it is only when the engine is running and the inverter is turned on that the red light is lit and the E05 code shows with an alarm and the refrigerator is not receiving any power.  Now I am focused on the inverter.  Although a 2017 model, it may be that the inverter is not providing the power necessary when the engine is running.  I will call Thor and see what recommendations they have.  Hopefully it is not to bring it in to the dealer.  Thank you all for your recommendations.  

I will modify my signature ot reflect the coach for future reference. (Thank you Wildebill308)

I will also unplug the fridge tomorrow to see what the plugs show on voltage but do not suspect that is an issue.  (Have to test to be sure).  Hopefully I do not have to pull the fridge out to do this but it appears I will. 

27 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Don't you have an access panel on the outside?

Bill

With a residential refrigerator, unlikely.