popmalone

Spartan Ball Joint Replacement

I have a 2003 Dutch Star I have found out that a lot of people have had problems with the ball joints mine have the boots rotted off. I got a price to replace them and I didn't like the price.

I have done a lot of mechanic work and think I can replace them but would like to here from anyone who has done this and what problems I might run to.

Thanks,

Neal

Welcome to the forum. Are your ball joints, tierode ends worn out? I heard of some one cleaning and greasing them and wrapping with shrink tape as a replacement to the dust covers. If they are still good I would try that first.

Actually on thinking about it I would do the tape first then grease.

Bill

There are many posts on other forums on the saga of failed boots and ball joint on Spartan chassis.  Most report that special tools are not available for the do-it-yourself mechanics and replace ball joints are also prone to failure.

Jim

I am one who used shrink wrap in an attempt to reduce water intrusion into the MH ball joints and retain grease. I just had a total wheel alignment performed on our MH ($300), the HDT shop owner inspected all of the steering components to include testing the ball joints. He said the ball joints are good @ 44,xxx miles, and instead of wrapping them, to simply use spray silicone for lubrication. I have removed the shrink wrap, sprayed them with pure silicone. We'll see in the future___.

I would stay with the shrink wrap tape. You are trying to keep dirt and water borne grit out of the ball joints. I just can't see where the "pure silicone" will do as good of a job as the tape and EP grease.  

Bill

Does the Spartan Chassis have independent front suspension? If not, most things grease able up front  can be replaced without a lot of money involved. Unless you really know what you are doing, you will probably need a front end alinement done by a good shop after the installation of tie rod ends. Common wear point with a solid front axle , but on the typical motorhome that is greased at least annually with low miles per year, they really should still be in good shape. I had everything greased at a 10 to 12 thousand mile interval. When running synthetic oil with a longer change interval I greased ( or had everything greased )  at the 10,000 mile interval. Have known truckers that used a 6000 mile interval for grease. I always use what I learned as a trucker for maintenance interval. After all, most of us are riding on a Freightshaker chassis.

On 11/24/2017 at 11:11 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

I would stay with the shrink wrap tape. You are trying to keep dirt and water borne grit out of the ball joints. I just can't see where the "pure silicone" will do as good of a job as the tape and EP grease.  

Bill

Thanks Bill, that sounds prudent. I'll grease and re-wrap them next week.