Sign in to follow this  
knnthd

Inverter On While In Storage Using 120 VAC

I have an Allegro Bus with a Xantrex 458 inverter in storage for the winter. This is our first RV to own and  the first winter in storage (indoors). I have shore power to 120 vac and using the inverter/charger to charge the house and chasis batteries. I have read a lot of comments & opinions on this forum and I'm still not certain leaving the inverter on long term is a good idea. One thing I'm not quite certain about is if the inverter is actually charging the chasis battery. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Not all units are wired the same, best to check voltage at both the coach and chassis battery banks.  If you find the voltage the same on both battery banks most likely the inverter is charging both battery banks.

Jim

The best solution will be from the manufacturer. Give there support/customer service a call and ask questions.

My old RV was a different brand but for 9 years I left it plugged in when not in use.  Not in use could be up to two or three months and then I'd go take it for a spin of about 25 miles with generator running and everything on full blast.  The only thing I had to do was check the water level in the batteries.

Now with the AGM batteries on the newer MH I don't have to check the water but about every two weeks we stop by to say hi and I'll check the voltage levels. I leave it plugged in.

Again, MFG is the final information stop.

Both of my Magnum 2800's charges only my 8 house batteries.  Have a trickle charger on my Engine batteries (2- 12Volt).  All are AGM's.  I did leave the coach inverter on and had no problems for 3 years...that was in a garage with 20A, 120V electric!  Now, I'm on 50A all the time, even if the electric goes off, then the 22KW generator back up system comes on.

Thanks to all. This gives me some reassurance that leaving the inverter on long term is not detrimental. My coach is stored 50 miles away & I can only get there to check voltage about once a month. Checking voltage on both battery banks will be on my agenda.

House batteries will be fine as long as you look at water level if acid type.  Depending on how it's wired, you may or maynot have to put a trickle charger on engine start batteries!

Good Luck & Merry Christmas! 

Couple of points.

As long as the breaker to the inverter/charger is on, it will be doing two things: "passing through" 120 VAC to circuits downstream AND charging at least the house battery bank.  You will have to verify that your coach is wired to also charge the chassis battery-- that is not standard on a lot of coaches.

Leaving the inverter turned on will give an added feature-- if shore power goes out, it will deplete the battery to supply power to all circuits downstream of the inverter/charger.  IMO, not a particularly good idea.

Also, your inverter/charger is programmable-- probably easily from your inverter remote. Suggest you reconfirm that it is properly programmed for: battery type, bank size and also ambient temperature unless yours has the optional temperature probe.

And, with any wet cell battery, be sure to check water level. Running them dry even once kills them.

12 hours ago, manholt said:

Both of my Magnum 2800's charges only my 8 house batteries.  Have a trickle charger on my Engine batteries (2- 12Volt).  All are AGM's.  I did leave the coach inverter on and had no problems for 3 years...that was in a garage with 20A, 120V electric!  Now, I'm on 50A all the time, even if the electric goes off, then the 22KW generator back up system comes on.

Aren't your Magnums set to let the charge go through the coach batteries and charge the chassis batteries once the charge gets to be 13.3 or higher?  That's they way mine work.

No, mine would if I had an Eaglet ! :(  I even found that my solar power was not hooked up, not that it matters, it was installed for the genny battery! :angry: