Sign in to follow this  
rereaves

Bonneville Speed Week

Hope to attend Bonneville Speed Week, August 11 thru 17th.  I have not had the pleasure of visiting this part of the country wife and I will be traveling in a 30ft. Motorhome. Looking for suggestions on places to stay, I understand you can camp on the salt in some areas but not sure how that would work so if you know of a great place to camp that would enable me to attend a part of speed week and day trip to points of interest if that is possible.  

14 minutes ago, rereaves said:

Hope to attend Bonneville Speed Week, August 11 thru 17th.  I have not had the pleasure of visiting this part of the country wife and I will be traveling in a 30ft. Motorhome. Looking for suggestions on places to stay, I understand you can camp on the salt in some areas but not sure how that would work so if you know of a great place to camp that would enable me to attend a part of speed week and day trip to points of interest if that is possible.  

If you park on salt find some one else to test for you-- some places are soft 

I saw a few motor homes and pu's stuck!

Yes, there a lot of soft spots because of winter rains and I guess seepage. Wendover NV right on the state line has gambling and maybe a  park or two. Not far from all of the high speed fun.

Do not use the KOA, 3 miles west of the flats....nothing is even close to level and horrible staff.  Very young and have no idea about the difference between a coach or trailer....the owner of the park is Marcus Lemonis, he owned 15 in 2014 and buying all he can get. (owns Good Sam & Camping World)!

15 hours ago, bm02tj said:

If you park on salt find some one else to test for you-- some places are soft 

I saw a few motor homes and pu's stuck!

Thanks for the feedback, I'm thinking we will camp off the salt.  Wife might not enjoy the salt life as much as me.  She is much more interested in the National Parks and all the rock art as I call it.  I just want to experience the Speed Week Events.  

14 hours ago, obedb said:

Yes, there a lot of soft spots because of winter rains and I guess seepage. Wendover NV right on the state line has gambling and maybe a  park or two. Not far from all of the high speed fun.

Thanks, looks like investigation required.  I greatly appreciate the warning, if anyone can get themselves in trouble it's me.  

There is no camping allowed on the salt.  However, there is plenty of free BLM land at the bend (40°45'42.9"N 113°58'02.7"W) where Leppy Pass Rd turns back to the east and into Bonneville Speedway Road.