Sign in to follow this  
eric@babin.com

Roof A/C compressor not working?

I have a 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 36U with 2 roof units.  They both are Coleman - Mach.  The controller is an RVComfort.zc

It seems the compressor for #2 is not working properly.... #1 is only appears to be drawing 4 amps.... and really doesn't feel like it's cooling much.   #2 is not pulling anything (so not on) but then it kicks on for a second and amps jump to about 50 for a second, generator struggles.... then it stops drawing...... it kicks up like that very randomly.... maybe a minute or two apart.

I've shut them both off for now.....

Right now I am not at a location I can plug in so I can't see if it does this same thing on shore power.

Ideas of what it may be?

First thing I would check is the output of the genset. Are you getting power to both legs? Check the breakers on the genset. 

#2 sounds like a bad start capacitor if it’s drawing that much or a frozen compressor. Either way, they should be under warranty. Give a Mobile tech a call that services them.

1 hour ago, campcop said:

First thing I would check is the output of the genset. Are you getting power to both legs? Check the breakers on the genset. 

#2 sounds like a bad start capacitor if it’s drawing that much or a frozen compressor. Either way, they should be under warranty. Give a Mobile tech a call that services them.

Both legs getting 120 V.  (according to my onboard central monitor panel)

Not frozen since we just turned the A/C units on.

Warranty?  I hope.... we are now over the 15,000 mile warranty period, although still within a year.  

I'll call Fleetwood once I'm sure it's not something simple I'm missing.

I won't have time to have anyone look at it until next week.  Anyone have recommendations for an RV A/C tech in the McDade TX area? (Just SE of Austin).

17 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Many newer coaches use 12 VDC for the electronic thermostat.  So, check battery voltage.

I'll check that... unlikely it was the issue... we had just been plugged in for days.  

Your coach is almost new...no guarantee that your batteries are!  I like to check mine at the posts, you could have a dead cell and it would not be shown at the panel.  If they are all 6.4 for 6V or 12.6 for 12V at the post, your good to go! 

UPDATE:

I contacted Fleetwood to ask if this would be covered under warranty since my coach is less than 10 months old.... They replied "Yes", then I said, "to be sure, I should let you know I'm over 15,000 miles".    She replied, "Oh, no, you are over 15,000 miles, it is NO LONGER under warranty". 

I then ask where a recommended repair facility near San Antonio is.... she recommended Ancira in Boerne.  I contact them..... no appointments until April.... that doesn't work for us... we live in it, and travel full time. Ancira RV recommends Boerne RV (830) 816-3883.  I give them a call and they can take a look at it in a few days, the exact date I'm driving through Boerne.

I drop it off, and explain about it not being under warranty..... he looks puzzled and said he'll take a look at the issue and see what is wrong with it.

One hour later I get a call telling me it's the compressor, and COLEMAN is going to cover it under warranty.    He didn't have to make that call, but he did.

If you are in the San Antonio area give Boerne RV a call for repairs!  (830) 816-3883.

Eric, your right.  Never, ever use Ancira...If you have to use someone else in the Area, I highly recommend Texas Custom Coach on Hwy. 16 in Pipe Creek.  It's about 14 miles from I-10 & Hwy 46 in Bourne! $75 & $80 an hour. :)