Sign in to follow this  
ispjs

Goodyear G159 Safety Issues

I came across this on another RV forum and didn't remember seeing it here:  https://www.boston.com/cars/car-news/2018/04/05/government-goodyear-tires-may-have-caused-95-deaths-or-injuries

I may have just missed the post here or something.  I guess it is a good thing FMCA doesn't include Goodyear in their discount program!  At first I thought these G159 tires were not even made in 22.5 size but I was able to find them online so I guess they are.  

Good article, BUT, that is really ancient history.  Those tires have not been made 14 years!

Sure hope NO 14 year old tires of any make or quality are still on the road.

Wolfe are you sure about that.  I did a search and it looked like there were some for sale still.  

3 hours ago, ISPJS said:

Wolfe are you sure about that.  I did a search and it looked like there were some for sale still.  

Would be interested in a picture of a DOT number indicating one that was less than 14 years old.

Could one be for sale-- guess so, but a REALLY old one.

You will not find one on any of our vehicles!  The 420 Ford Tractor had original tires on it, until yesterday....must have had 20+ bottles of green goop in each tire, 1978 model !!! Big rear ones are not cheap!  

Update on the G159.  The last set made was in 2003.  There was not much info available in the past 15 years, due to records being sealed by the courts, and just this year was un-sealed.  So now the National Safety Board can start doing it's own investigation.  That's why it's now being posted on car/driver news!  Any and all G159's have been pulled off the shelf's for testing!

So, Joe S. you need not worry about that tire anymore, should there be any around the country, you'll likely find them on a rust bucket in a field or Junk Yard. :lol:

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:58 AM, wolfe10 said:

Would be interested in a picture of a DOT number indicating one that was less than 14 years old.

Could one be for sale-- guess so, but a REALLY old one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-265-70R19-5-Goodyear-G159-AP-Rib-G-14-Ply-BSW-Tires/372257258856?epid=1785841880&hash=item56ac42fd68:g:ofcAAOSwkxRatmZ4&vxp=mtr

Maybe these types of ads are old and they really don't have any?  I know the articles I read stated they haven't been made since 2003 or so.  With all that being said, it probably does not reflect very well on Goodyear if these tires were really that hazardous when they were putting them out there.